Tortoise Got Stuck and Ripped Claws Out

kiramcathey

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hello, my tortoise lives in an outside enclosure. Sometime within the past 24 hours, he got stuck while climbing. When I went to feed him this evening, he had been trying to get unstuck for at least long enough to either rip his claws out/file them down flat. Most of his claws are no longer existent and there is a little bit of blood. I have been trying to rehydrate him and give him food, but he won’t eat or drink. He is still being active and walking all around but I’ve just been concerned. I took him inside and put him in a large box with food, lots of water, and place to burrow/sleep. I am doing this in hopes of a chance for him to relax and not get dirt or sand in his wounds. Also, it is hot outside (90s) so I’m thinking by being inside at 78 degrees, he can not become so dehydrated. Is this a good idea or should he be placed back in his normal enclosure for less stress from change? I am just very sad for him and want him to be able to be ok.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
His nails are still intact, he didn’t rip them out. May we see his outdoor enclosure? Does he have access to cement or a very hard surface that would file it down? The blood is due to it reaching the blood vessel in the nail. Shouldn’t be life threatening, but I would make sure he gets daily soaks for a few weeks.

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
His nails are still intact, he didn’t rip them out. May we see his outdoor enclosure? Does he have access to cement or a very hard surface that would file it down? The blood is due to it reaching the blood vessel in the nail. Shouldn’t be life threatening, but I would make sure he gets daily soaks for a few weeks.

he has some cement stones on the ground and then the walls are made from cement. He got stuck climbing on the wall cus one of the bricks started to fall and trapped him (in an up and down position). So he had been using his claws against the cement bricks to try and escape, but instead it rubbed them all the way down. This photo is from about a month ago.

0723EA4D-A535-4D41-AD16-762EFB90F268.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the bleeding has stopped, I would resume normal activities, and immediately re-design the enclosure walls using a safer material so nothing like this can happen again.

If its still bleeding, get some styptic powder to stop it. The nails will grow back.

Soak him every other day for a while, and make sure he resumes eating.

Can he get underground to avoid your scorching mid day heat?

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
If the bleeding has stopped, I would resume normal activities, and immediately re-design the enclosure walls using a safer material so nothing like this can happen again.

If its still bleeding, get some styptic powder to stop it. The nails will grow back.

Soak him every other day for a while, and make sure he resumes eating.

Can he get underground to avoid your scorching mid day heat?

He can a little. I have hay, dirt, and reptile bedding that is mixed up and piled in a corner. He often burrows in that. Yes I didn’t even see the active bleeding, just the dried blood

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
He can a little. I have hay, dirt, and reptile bedding that is mixed up and piled in a corner. He often burrows in that. Yes I didn’t even see the active bleeding, just the dried blood
In the heat of your summer days, he needs to be able to go completely underground. A pile of dirt and hay on the surface is not enough protection, especially if the sun hits it.

It looks like his enclosure is too small. What's under the pink pool? Is that for shade or is it outside the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Man o man! He really did a number on those babies, didn't he? Talk about filing down your nails!!!

Remove all the rocks so he has places he can dig down into the dirt. Also, at his size, I don't see any need for the wire cover. The inverted pool is acting like a mini greenhouse when the sun shines on it. It's really not doing any good. Remove it too. Buy a big potted plant and set it on the west side bricks to offer shade instead of the pool.

I think the reason he got stuck is because he's trying to escape that small area. He needs a much bigger space.

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
Man o man! He really did a number on those babies, didn't he? Talk about filing down your nails!!!

Remove all the rocks so he has places he can dig down into the dirt. Also, at his size, I don't see any need for the wire cover. The inverted pool is acting like a mini greenhouse when the sun shines on it. It's really not doing any good. Remove it too. Buy a big potted plant and set it on the west side bricks to offer shade instead of the pool.

I think the reason he got stuck is because he's trying to escape that small area. He needs a much bigger space.
Good to know about the pool. The wire cover is mostly so my small dog doesn’t jump in! It also blocks where he can climb out. He can dig into the dirt, it’s just kind of hard and firm so he doesn’t.. I will try to expand his enclosure

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
In the heat of your summer days, he needs to be able to go completely underground. A pile of dirt and hay on the surface is not enough protection, especially if the sun hits it.

It looks like his enclosure is too small. What's under the pink pool? Is that for shade or is it outside the enclosure?
He has the ability to dig into the dirt, but he doesn’t... maybe it’s cause the ground is too packed and hard? Also, had been using the pool to provide more shade.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
He has the ability to dig into the dirt, but he doesn’t... maybe it’s cause the ground is too packed and hard? Also, had been using the pool to provide more shade.
If you know anybody with a Costco membership...recently they have been carrying a shade cloth that's very convenient
It's 13ft x 7 ft and already has ropes attached.

You would want to tie this over your enclosure as high as possible. Down low it traps the heat in like the pool did. Tie it up high to provide tree-like shade.

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
If you know anybody with a Costco membership...recently they have been carrying a shade cloth that's very convenient
It's 13ft x 7 ft and already has ropes attached.

You would want to tie this over your enclosure as high as possible. Down low it traps the heat in like the pool did. Tie it up high to provide tree-like shade.
Thank you!