Tortoise for SE Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

flinx0

5 Year Member
I am interested in getting a Tortoise from what I have read a Redfoot would be my best option for an outside Tortoise in Southeast Texas. During the summer the humidity is almost always 90% or more and it stays in the 90s most of the time, I would just like to know when I would need to bring him inside. I have read multiple care sheets, but I would like to know other peoples experience.

So my main concerns are..

Is a Redfoot the best for my area? if not please point me towards another species

At what temperature should I bring him inside? high/low

Also am I missing any major concerns with the weather/humidity?

P.S. if anybody in the area has a breeding pair I would be interested in getting one from a captive breeder I would rather know for sure that they are captive breed

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Just about any tortoise will be fine with that relative humidity. It's the temperatures and amount of sun and rain that would determine what tortoise would do best outside where you are.
A Redfoot would do fine outside as long as you provided lots of shade at those temperatures and a soaking of the pen on days it didn't rain.
Over 100F and under 70F would be the times I'd bring inside a Redfoot tortoise.

Danny

flinx0

5 Year Member
Well during the summer months we might not get a whole lot of rain but still have the high humidity, sun shouldn't be that much of an issue since I have trees around my house and I would have some kind of shelter from the elements.

I am sure it would be better to get them in a pair but if i did when I had them inside how big of an area would I need once they are fully grown?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Redfoots like to be a bit more wet than just air humidity, so giving them a rain shower with the hose during hot weather is the way to go.
You don't have to get 2 tortoises unless you want to. Tortoises don't need the company of another tortoise to do well.
A 6' X 3' table would be fine for 1 adult Redfoot, when inside.
If you haven't you might want to check out this website for Redfoots, it's very good. http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

Danny

flinx0

5 Year Member
Thank you for the responses I am looking on the forums there now.

Darien

Status
Not open for further replies.