Redfoot outdoor enclosures in the warm south

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
I mean in the warm southern U.S. :)

I want to overhaul my Redfoot enclosure and I would really like to hear from some of our members down here in Texas. We can keep ours roaming the pen for almost 9 months, but what do you do in the short winter months? Bring them inside? Photos of your enclosures would be great.

I have this Redfoot b/c a friend didn't want him anymore and I think I need to work on the husbandry a little more.

EP429

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
I've not yet been through a winter with my guys, but I'll share my plan anyway. I'm going to build a large semi-enclosure in my garage which will easily break down in spring for storage.
It'll basically be a large box made of 2X12s without a bottom (concrete will serve as the floor base) which will be lined with pond-liner & cypress mulch for a substrate. I'm going to hinge 2 sides together & likely just use classic hook & eyes to couple the two sections.
Once spring rolls around, just empty mulch, break down the sides & store for next winter.
Heat rope & CHE's will be my weapons of choice for warmth, it doesn't get cold enough in Austin to justify breaking out the old jet-tube garage heater :D

J.A.G

5 Year Member
I've yet to go through a winter here either. Since I live in an apartment I have an enclosure that I can that is 3x3 feet that I move onto our balcony when the weather is good enough. What's concerned me lately it's this dry weather and keeping the humidity up outdoors.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
All You need is some good shade from a tree, and get a mister system from home depot that comes with a 2 hour timer on it. Hook that bad boy up to a hose and turn it on 2-3 times a day. Usually in the early morning, then again around lunch then again around 2-3 when it starts getting hot, then maybe once more late afternoon. Place it 3 feet or so above the ground and it keeps it real moist, and boost the humidity on the ground at their level. Add some nice stone hides and plants and whatnot. Shazam super hot climate redfootness.

ATXTortoises

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
All You need is some good shade from a tree, and get a mister system from home depot that comes with a 2 hour timer on it. Hook that bad boy up to a hose and turn it on 2-3 times a day. Usually in the early morning, then again around lunch then again around 2-3 when it starts getting hot, then maybe once more late afternoon. Place it 3 feet or so above the ground and it keeps it real moist, and boost the humidity on the ground at their level. Add some nice stone hides and plants and whatnot. Shazam super hot climate redfootness.

Love it! Thanks for the great reference. Now what do you do when it gets cold? Temporary indoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.