Tortoise Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
What is the minimum size for a tortoise table for a redfoot? I'm planning on getting a hatchling, but after it graduates from its rubbermaid tub, I want the tortoise table to be big enough for the full-grown tort so that I won't have to keep building new, bigger ones.

The table will be used ONLY as a winter home, and since I live in Texas, our winters are fairly short. The weather is also extremely variable so we could have some freak 80+ degrees days in November or even December where the tort could go to the outside pen for the day to stretch his legs and return inside at night.

So what would the minimum size be? Would 6x3 be OK? I know it's not perfectly ideal, but would it work? I'm just not sure about fitting an 8x4 tort table inside, not to mention that it would be hard to find a bookshelf that size. (I'm planning on making it out of a bookshelf.)

So, what do y'all think?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
There are many guidelines, but no absolute rules. I like the European version- figure 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths for one tortoise. Red-foots will hit 12" eventually, but that will take several years.

6'x3' would work, especially if it is a nice home otherwise. Besides, by the time it hits about 8" and starts to outgrow that space, you may have other options!

Status
Not open for further replies.