Redfoot veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
I feel like I'm running low on variety in the veggie part of my Redfoots diet for this time of the year. This is what he gets on a normal basis (again, for this time the year)
Mustard green
Turnip greens
Collard greens
Kale (sometimes)
Romaine (sometimes)
Spring mix
All sorts of squash
Cucumber
Carrots (sometimes)

He also gets mazuri, zoomed forest stuff, some fruit, and certain types of flowers. Since it's so cold out I'm trying to grow lot of weeds for him in the greenhouse. Also there's clover growing in his enclosure.

I'm also thinking about staring to offer radish greens and bok choi (idk if that's spelled right). How do you guys feel about me feeding my Redfoot these foods?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
That all sounds very good to me...For winter, thats enough variety. And if you are offering mazuri, it will balance it out. There is nothing to worry about with your diet.
Only one thing I would add, why not add more fruit? 30-40% of your red foots diet should be fruit. Or is it not readily available where you are in the winter?

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
That all sounds very good to me...For winter, thats enough variety. And if you are offering mazuri, it will balance it out. There is nothing to worry about with your diet.
Only one thing I would add, why not add more fruit? 30-40% of your red foots diet should be fruit. Or is it not readily available where you are in the winter?

Thank you for the reassurance! Yes he is getting mazuri, and I'd say that he is getting around 30-40%. Fruits are very plentiful here all times of the year! (Walmart;)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
fluffypanda17 said:
RedfootsRule said:

Thank you for the reassurance! Yes he is getting mazuri, and I'd say that he is getting around 30-40%. Fruits are very plentiful here all times of the year! (Walmart;)

30/40% of mazuri or fruit? Either is good. With the amount of veggies/greens you are providing there, if it is coupled with at least 20/30% mazuri, they will balance out each others weak points. If you would like a list of good fruits to feed just let me know...I always encourage people to use fruits as a large part of their red foots diet (never more than half though).

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I think it sounds good. That is the same as i grow in my garden to feed. I also feed fruit and veggies. Mazuri once a week and dog food for protien. Looks like you got it under control. Have you looked at tortoiselibrary.com

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
30/40% of mazuri or fruit? Either is good. With the amount of veggies/greens you are providing there, if it is coupled with at least 20/30% mazuri, they will balance out each others weak points. If you would like a list of good fruits to feed just let me know...I always encourage people to use fruits as a large part of their red foots diet (never more than half though).

Well I feed my Redfoot mazuri on Sundays and sometimes (but usually the zoomed stuff) on Wednesdays too. And then he gets fruit on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and a small amount as a treat on Saturdays. I'm not sure now that works out percentage wise but I think that's a good balance.
I'd love to have a list of good fruits! Always looking for more info for my babies!

P.S. I wasn't trying to copy you when I chose my little profile picture ;)

mainey34 said:
I think it sounds good. That is the same as i grow in my garden to feed. I also feed fruit and veggies. Mazuri once a week and dog food for protien. Looks like you got it under control. Have you looked at tortoiselibrary.com

What kind of dog food? And how often?
I will look it up now!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
fluffypanda17 said:
RedfootsRule said:

Well I feed my Redfoot mazuri on Sundays and sometimes (but usually the zoomed stuff) on Wednesdays too. And then he gets fruit on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and a small amount as a treat on Saturdays. I'm not sure now that works out percentage wise but I think that's a good balance.
I'd love to have a list of good fruits! Always looking for more info for my babies!

That sounds about right. Its definitely a good balance...Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, plums, peaches, figs, grapes, apples, pineapple, passion fruit, kiwi, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, star-fruit, papaya, mango, mulberries, and blueberries are all good fruits. Thats as much as I can think of right now :)!.
Also, please don't feed your tort dog food. The reason people do this is to supply protein, but there is such better choices for protein that are much healthier, as dog food is far to high in fats. Plain turkey or chicken are fine. If you have a small amount of torts, it would be a good idea to order night crawlers, earthworms or silkworms from an online dealer (if you don't mind creep crawls!). For younger torts, its best for the protein component of their diet to be made up mostly of insects, to mirror the wild better. But chicken and turkey are still fine.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
For protein i give 3 kibbles of broken science diet.1 time a week. It wont harm them.
I might add that the science diet is not high in fat at all. It is light formula..

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
That sounds about right. Its definitely a good balance...Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, plums, peaches, figs, grapes, apples, pineapple, passion fruit, kiwi, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, star-fruit, papaya, mango, mulberries, and blueberries are all good fruits. Thats as much as I can think of right now :)!.
Also, please don't feed your tort dog food. The reason people do this is to supply protein, but there is such better choices for protein that are much healthier, as dog food is far to high in fats. Plain turkey or chicken are fine. If you have a small amount of torts, it would be a good idea to order night crawlers, earthworms or silkworms from an online dealer (if you don't mind creep crawls!). For younger torts, its best for the protein component of their diet to be made up mostly of insects, to mirror the wild better. But chicken and turkey are still fine.

That's great! Most of those I already give my Redfoot, and the others just have me more variety! But what's a passion fruit? I've hear of it before but I can't remember..
I've never given my Redfoot dog food, for protein he's gotten mostly night crawlers and red wigglers. I dont mind the crawlers at all! got a whole mini fridge full of them! ;) He used to get meal worms but I stopped giving them to him. He's too small for pinkies (how do you feel about them?)
Thanks for the chicken and turkey idea. I was always curious if those were ok. How often do you feed protein to your sulcata?

mainey34 said:
For protein i give 3 kibbles of broken science diet.1 time a week. It wont harm them.
I might add that the science diet is not high in fat at all. It is light formula..

Sounds like since it's not high in fat it wouldn't be bad at all! Makes me curious if mammals (mice and stuff that people feed their Redfoots) have more fat than dog food~

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well, i tried the other sources of protein and he just got tired of eating them. I just have a pickey eater. I tried rotating then, that didnt work. But the kibbles. Did. So low fat, they are not going to hurt him and he will eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.