Tortoise biting

steph1709

Location (City and/or State)
Kidderminster/Southampton
I've had a hermanns tortoise since October and he is 3. I now have another who is only 2 and quite tiny compared to Tobias (the older one) I've had Luna now for 5 days and they seemed to get on really well. They'd eat together and sleep next to each other and Tobias didn't seemed bothered that there was another tortoise around.
But then today I caught Luna biting Tobias' legs. She is a lot smaller than him and he seemed quite stressed by it so I've separated them for now. I don't know why she's doing this as she hasn't done it before. She also tried to bite my finger so I don't know whether she's just upset today or if something's wrong?
I'm still quite new to having a tortoise :)

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
I'm sure 99% of the people on here will tell you that two torts cannot get a long well in the same enclosure. Groups are fine, but with two one will always become the dominant. It will take food, be aggressive towards the other and stress the other one out. This, when paired with time, can lead to serious injuries or even weight loss and death.

I'm sorry to say you'd be better off getting a separate enclosure for your new tort.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sounds like Luna wants this tortoise (Tobias) out of the territory she's decided to claim, he cant leave so she's making it really clear to him she wants him out. Doesn't matter who's bigger or who's been in an enclosure longer, its really on their personality, sounds like Luna is quite feisty.
Time to give her her own home. Or Tobias his own since she seems to have decided on the original.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sadly once bullying starts it never stops. If they lived outside in a nice big enclosure, then probably no more problems. Seperate pairs don't work they just don't. Groups of 3 or more can work, but they still need to be outside. Seperate and then have 2 happy tortoises, remember they don't need friends ( or want them).
BTW Salutations.