Baby Golden Greek Tortoise

leewatso94

Hello! I currently have a young (about 2 years old) golden greek tortoise named Tobias. I've had him for a year and I absolutely love having him. I am considering buying another baby golden greek tortoise and was wanted to have a couple questions answered first. When I get the baby, will I be able to put her in the same habitat as Tobias or will I have to put her in a separate home until she grows a little? I don't want Tobias to hurt the baby. Can I feed the baby the same food I give him or is there special baby food? And lastly, does the baby require the home to be even warmer to be able to grow properly?
Thanks for your help!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't keep them together. The habitat and diet should be the same. Perhaps a tad warmer with the hatchling with more frequent soaks. After the 2nd tortoise gains some size you could do a few trial runs to see if they get along. Always monitor closely though. Best of luck to you!

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
You need to be prepared to house them separately forever. Just saying, they might not ever get along. Torts really don't need friends. I've read several heart breaking stories about what happens when they fight. So if you want another just because torts are wonderful, great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I must stress what Kathy has posted. Tortoises are solitary creatures. They don't live in herds and don't seek other tortoises out unless for breeding. When a tortoise wanders into another tortoise's territory, they fight sometimes to the death of one or the other of them. They don't get lonely and don't need company.

If you want another tortoise for YOU, fine. Get one. But don't get one for Tobias. He doesn't want to share his territory with anyone.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
On the spot... There are a lot to consider... First you have to make sure they are of the same sub-species... next the quarantine... THIS IS A MUST!... after that, how big is your indoor enclosure? Do you have an outdoor enclosure? Do you know the sex of your tortoise? Since Tobias is only 2 (assuming he is) you wont know what the sex yet until he reaches juvenile age near adult... Are you prepared to keep them separate... FOR LIFE!... if they are to butt heads!!! Think about the other questions, indoor and outdoor spaces... So many things to consider... Yes is possible and yes they can be house together... yes they eat the same thing... but before you get another tortoise... you have to keep this in mind... We are not trying to discourage you from getting another.. but this are things that others tend to neglect and then it hurts the tortoises on the long run... and im sure you dont want that happening...