Tortoise birthday gift

Max Sharp

IMG_3130.JPG Hello...

My 40th birthday was Sunday and my family have bought me an 8th month old Hermann tortoise... I've always wanted a tortoise but I imagined an adult one living in the garden like my neighbour from my childhood. I have masses to learn as fast as possible!!! Any and all advice would be gratefully received

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK :)

As well as the care sheet, Yvonne gave you I recommend you read the Beginner Mistakes thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Both are written by TFO species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too

If you would like us to check things over for you just post photos of your enclosure and lighting :)

Max Sharp

Brilliant birthday thanks and even more brilliant gift! He is lovely and settling in nicely. Everything seems to be fine, we just need to set up a UV light and than everything is perfect.

Max Sharp

Oh and we are in the UK, Cornwall. I've read mixed reviews of fish tanks being used for tortoises. We have Herman (our little tortoise) in a 1.5 foot x 2 foot tank without the lid so he doesn't get too hot. He's not near a window and seems happy. We owen a custom built 4 foot x 4 foot tank that fits perfectly in our small bungalow which he can move into when he's a little bigger. Again this will be no where near a window and has a complete open too so should work. We have applied a border to the side of the tank so that Herman doesn't walk into it and he seems much happier since the tape has been applied. Hope you all think this will be ok.... we are unable to fit a tortoise table in our home x

Attachments

• 51542969685__7B143F2F-5B9D-4E34-9372-C95A26B6449F.JPG
    51542969685__7B143F2F-5B9D-4E34-9372-C95A26B6449F.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3131.JPG
    IMG_3131.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16