tortoise and dog??

Status
Not open for further replies.

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Sorry, just a clarification - is this dog, your nans dog, a different dog then the one you refer to in your other posts from today (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-housing.126665/#post-1178200, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hello.126666/) or are there two dogs?

The same dog - my nans dog. I've said previously that admittedly they do seem to "get along" well however after reading up on dogs around tortoises I am not willing to take any risks.

I have 4 weeks left here so if they do not listen and respect my wishes regarding MY tortoise then I will sadly have to find a new home. I'm not sure I know anyone who could have him short term, however may just look at moving back to university asap
X

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Honestly, if they really won't listen and locking the tortoise run/your room isn't an option, I would consider finding a temporary home for your tortoise until your living situation changes (this is just short term, right?). If they aren't respecting your wishes to this great of a degree, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping the animal in their home.
I totally agree with you.

immiexxo

UK
Honestly, if they really won't listen and locking the tortoise run/your room isn't an option, I would consider finding a temporary home for your tortoise until your living situation changes (this is just short term, right?). If they aren't respecting your wishes to this great of a degree, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping the animal in their home.

Would it be fair to keep him locked in my room for 6/7/8 hours a day and only let him roam in the garden when I'm home?. I work 4/5 days a week. I really don't want to rehome him but would rather do that than have him mauled by the dog regardless of what the chances are of that happening.
I could lock the run but they'd find a way of getting him out. My nan is a very sly person.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Would it be fair to keep him locked in my room for 6/7/8 hours a day and only let him roam in the garden when I'm home?. I work 4/5 days a week. I really don't want to rehome him but would rather do that than have him mauled by the dog regardless of what the chances are of that happening.
I could lock the run but they'd find a way of getting him out. My nan is a very sly person.

How large is the enclosure in your room? If that's your only option for keeping him safe, I would keep him locked indoors and only allow supervised time in the tortoise run. You've only got four weeks left living there, so while it isn't ideal, I am sure it is doable.

immiexxo

UK
It's very large, not sure of exact measurements but he would be fine in there. I just feel bad as he's so used to spending his time outside but I guess if that's the only option...

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's very large, not sure of exact measurements

If you have time and wouldn't mind indulging my curiosity, could you measure it when you get a chance? I'm always curious what different people's definitions of "large"/"very large" are - it seems like there is a huge range in sizes meant when someone calls something large (or small).

I think if your nan is really as resistant to respecting your wishes as it sounds like she is, keeping your tortoise inside without supervised outdoors time is probably for the best.

immiexxo

UK
I will measure for you in the morning and let you know. Thank you for all your help x

immiexxo

UK
I'd say it's the size of a standard single bed x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yes. It would be totally fine to leave him locked in your room all day in his own safe enclosure.

Help me understand this: You have directly and clearly asked them to leave your pet alone and not touch it at all, and "sly Nan" just does it anyway? I've never seen such disrespect from Grandparents toward their grand child. I don't understand this. I would GO OFF on a relative that messed with my tortoises when I told them not to.

immiexxo

UK
That's exactly it. Had I not come home early from work the other day my tort would have been dead or injured as she found it funny to allow him to wander the house and end up near or tumble dryer - he almost went up the tube!
She constantly just does everything I ask her not to. Percy today will spend his time locked in my room until I'm home
X

immiexxo

UK
I've just told my nan I don't want the dog near my tortoise and she just said 'oh don't be so stupid' and started moaning and me. I said I'll lock him in my room during the days from now on and she wouldn't have any of it but there's nothing she can do.

She's gone back to bed and taken the dog with her. Shall I wake up my tort and let him roam for an hour or so before work or is it not worth waking him for?x

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I've just told my nan I don't want the dog near my tortoise and she just said 'oh don't be so stupid' and started moaning and me. I said I'll lock him in my room during the days from now on and she wouldn't have any of it but there's nothing she can do.

She's gone back to bed and taken the dog with her. Shall I wake up my tort and let him roam for an hour or so before work or is it not worth waking him for?x
I'm sorry she reacted like that. I wouldn't wake him up. And it's not really safe for him to roam in your room. Did you try showing her some of the threads on here? I guess there's not much you can do but keep your tortoise locked up. Will they let you build an outdoor enclosure that is secure? It's better for your tortoise to have a little less freedom and live, then more freedom and end up dead one day.

immiexxo

UK
He will be in his tortoise table in my room, not just roaming but the fact I have to lock him in is ridiculous.
The thing with the outdoor enclosure is that he has one and it is secure, but they just let the dog in and out of it as it pleases, put the dog in there etc so regardless of what I do, when I'm not there she will let the dog near the tortoise.
My grandad is being reasonable but my nan won't have any of it because her perfect dog can't do any wrong. It really is selfish and stupid.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Welcome to the forum. It sounds to me like locking it in your room is the only real option.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry to hear of your situation , after reading I guess you have 2 options . Keep him locked in your room , or move . I would probably choose the latter , if a person couldn't honor such a simple request ! But that's just the way I am . ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
better locked inside for now them roaming unsupervised with a dog. my two cents

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He has an indoor tortoise table that he sleeps in overnight and has a large run type enclosure that is dog proof if they'd stop opening it and letting the dog in! Literally the just won't listen because they think the dog isn't capable of doing any wrong but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.
I've even considered rehoming my tortoise because of how unreasonable they're being. They say they'll leave it so the dog can't get in and then ill come home from work and the dog is constantly around my tortoise and they've opened the enclosure!
Or they let my tortoise walk around the house which I'm really unhappy with as they also have my cousins and other guests walking about that may step on him, so as if the dog situation wasn't bad enough there's extra risk there. I've told them to leave him be but they pick him up and do as they please with him.
I really don't know what to do!

Buy a lock and lock the gate so they can't open it.

immiexxo

UK
Sorry to hear of your situation , after reading I guess you have 2 options . Keep him locked in your room , or move . I would probably choose the latter , if a person couldn't honor such a simple request ! But that's just the way I am . ;)

I'm due to move within the next four weeks anyway so he'll be in my room unless I'm home where I can supervise x

Status
Not open for further replies.