Tortoise 101

Tortoise1Tortoise2

Location (City and/or State)
STAFFORDSHIRE
I'm a new member here and also a new-ish tortoise owner and i just want to talk to people who own Tortoises to share ideas with me on how to give me tortoises a better, healthy, long life.

I have two Horsefield (Russian) Tortoises, we got them last May as my younger brother wanted one for his birthday. So my mum did the research bought the products and then got two (female- although i read that its hard to tell the sex of Tortoises until they are 4 years old) tortoises. I love these tortoises and was so fascinated by these animals. I did research, brought them things for there (indoor) house, bought them different food to try, eventually they became mine and i adore them. I take them out when the sun is shining i buy them things they probably don't need but they are my babies(they are now 2 years and 6 months).

Anyway, we are in the process of building a outdoor place for them for when its summer or the sun shines i can take them out and leave them in a secure place from predators but also get the right nutrients. I just want to know what i should include in this habitat, I'm from the UK so weather is 70% terrible most of the time.
Please could you tell me plants to get, ones that are safe for them to eat or just for the surroundings, i read so many things that i don't know who or what to trust anymore. Also, foods to give them a more varied diet, i currently feed them Kale, dandelion leaves, some fruit/veg here and now and some dried plant/ flower type foods i purchased from Pets at Home.

I KNOW this is long but i want to get the facts across to make sure everything is right.

I'll sum it up and want everyone to give me advice on how to make an outdoor enclosure the best place for them; food, plants, substance, how to keep them entertained.

I love my animals so much and whatever i can do for them to keep them healthy and strong i will.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494890395.530905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494890411.626539.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494890432.454224.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494890450.350136.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494890497.266545.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494890627.414752.jpg
Now with all these treats you can leave the torts without fruits . Cause they cannt diegest sugars very well .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. If you do actually have two females, you might get away with them being together. That's a might. If they end up being two males or one of each, they will have to live in seperate enclosures. Tortoises do not want or need to live with a friend and two will fight to illness or death. Be prepared to have two enclosures soon.
Post pics of their under side tail area and we might be able to give an idea of what sex they are looking, although, if they actually 2 they are too young to give a positive sex.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Stop feeding them fruit, period. They can't digest it properly.

You have a garden now, sounds like? What is growing there already? I understand it is illegal to take plants from the wild in England but don't know if you can at least pick a few leaves. @JoesMum can help with that question and also give suggestions about food. We can also help you identify what you have in the garden that is safe or ideas as to what to plant.

Tortoise1Tortoise2

STAFFORDSHIRE
Sorry about feeding them fruit, It is very rare but i'll stop. I printed off pages of food they can eat (Veg, plants and fruit) and also poisonous foods. But like i said i guess some pages aren't correct. Thanks for everyone's comments. We do have a very spacious garden which we have been doing up but we are building their outdoor habitat now that the garden is ready, we had to move the chickens around to make space for their (the tortoises) section of the garden but making sure to leave enough room for the dog and obviously summer activities so it took a bit of time i'm afraid.
Thanks everyone for the advice it's really appreciated!

Tortoise1Tortoise2

STAFFORDSHIRE
Also, i guess my mum got sucked into buying two, he told her that they like company and will get lonely so its better getting two, but i've read a lot that they like to be alone?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Also, i guess my mum got sucked into buying two, he told her that they like company and will get lonely so its better getting two, but i've read a lot that they like to be alone?
They will bully each other to death over time, so no, they don't get lonely.

The person who told your mom that was misinformed or in the business of selling. Or both.

Is it too late to return one? Otherwise you need two separate enclosures.

Tortoise1Tortoise2

STAFFORDSHIRE
They will bully each other to death over time, so no, they don't get lonely.

The person who told your mom that was misinformed or in the business of selling. Or both.

Is it too late to return one? Otherwise you need two separate enclosures.
Yeah it's too late, we got them both a year ago this month. But even if it wasn't how would pick which one to return? How could you choose to get rid if one of your babies while the other stays. It's impossible
Thank you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi there.

Welcome from Kent, UK

I'm just off to bed so I am posting so I can come back to this in the morning!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Sorry about feeding them fruit, It is very rare but i'll stop. I printed off pages of food they can eat (Veg, plants and fruit) and also poisonous foods. But like i said i guess some pages aren't correct.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the care sheets out there are out of date; we know better now.

I'm going to link to two different threads that have some nice lists of foods to grow or buy for sulcata tortoises. I think these are the easiest lists for a beginner, even if their tortoise is a different type. Sulcatas eat grass, so exclude any grasses on the lists. Anything else listed is fine. Some grocery store foods are included. (If rocket isn't on the grocery list, add it!)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yeah it's too late, we got them both a year ago this month. But even if it wasn't how would pick which one to return? How could you choose to get rid if one of your babies while the other stays. It's impossible
Thank you

Personally, if I couldn't make space for two, I'd find a rescue society for one. I could never take it back to a pet store myself. :(

Given what we see happening with two tortoises, I know I'd be putting one at risk without the right housing. I wouldn't want to give one up, of course! Sounds like you have enough space that you won't have to think about it, thank goodness!

Last edited:

Abracastabya

Southern California
Hello there :) I'm a new Testudo owner as well but have been doing research for quite some time. I just ordered the broadleaf seed mix and the dry climate grass mix from Tortoise Supply. I feel that these will make up a fantastic diet along with a few other things here and there. Sounds like it might be tough to grow these in the U.K. though. Anyhow, welcome and good luck!