Baby leopard tortoise sleeps alot

Cali tortoise

Hello my baby tort Leo sleeps alot? He wakes up around 5:30 a.m. when I get up and he gets his warm bath then he eats then sometimes sleeps in food dish. When I get home at 3:30 he is in his hide sleeping and stays there until next day unless I wake him up. Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
temperatures please?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
overall? Basking? Cool side? Hot side?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
We need to know the temps in each are to know if it is normal, or if adjustments should be recommended

Cali tortoise

We need to know the temps in each are to know if it is normal, or if adjustments should be recommended
The warm end is 80 degrees and the cool end I am not sure I need to buy another thermometer to put on that end. Leo sleeps under his log which is on the 80 degree side. I will buy another thermometer this weekend and keep an eye on it. Today he was awake when I came home at 330 p.m and I took him outside for 30 minutes he did a lot of walking for a baby tort! Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think you need to raise your temps. The low temp should be 80F. This includes overnight low. He should have a basking area close to 100F. The best way to check temps is a temp gun. They are cheap at home depot or Lowe's.

Cali tortoise

I think you need to raise your temps. The low temp should be 80F. This includes overnight low. He should have a basking area close to 100F. The best way to check temps is a temp gun. They are cheap at home depot or Lowe's.
Thank you going buy heating mat today

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you going buy heating mat today
A heat mat is a bad choice. They get too hot. Babies especially burn themselves with them. Get a ceramic heat emitter. Hook it up to a thermostat set at 81F. Put the probe on the cold side. Put a basking light on the warm side. Adjust the height to get a 100F basking spot.

Cali tortoise

A heat mat is a bad choice. They get too hot. Babies especially burn themselves with them. Get a ceramic heat emitter. Hook it up to a thermostat set at 81F. Put the probe on the cold side. Put a basking light on the warm side. Adjust the height to get a 100F basking spot.
Wow didn't know babies could get too hot thank you for that info. I just bought the mat, but now I probably won't hook it up. Where do I buy a ceramic heat eimiter? Are they expensive? My baby is more active these last few days not sure why but I am very happy about it. He seems to be doing very well eating sleeping pooping. I took him outside yesterday and he loved it. It is still a little cold here in central California and more rain this weekend. Can tortoise go outside in rain? You are a wonderful source of information I thank you very much!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The danger with rain is cold n humid is a recipe for disaster. I have put heat mats on the wall or ceiling of a hide. It's not very effective, but helps if you have a cold spot. CHE's, ceramic heat emitter, are available online or at pet stores. LLLreptile or tortoise supply are great places to get things like CHE and thermostat.
It will help me know, if I am leading you in the right direction if you will post some pictures of your enclosure. What are you using for UVB and basking?

Cali tortoise

Hi yes I am using UVB and basking light zoo med 150 watt. Florescent is also zoo med. My tort is inside the house he lives in the family room. Ill try attch picture of my tank.20160117_080408.jpg 20160117_080408.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is a very pretty enclosure. That water dish is dangerous though. A terra cotta saucer sunk down in the substrate works really well. The steep sides can cause them to tip over n drown in the water. I think a CHE is all you need to get the heat up a bit.
I would add a lot more substrate. Keep it moist to raise your humidity. Do you know what your humidity is now?
Your little one sounds like he is adjusting well.

Cali tortoise

Thank you I tried to make his home beautiful and fun for him. I don't put a lot of water in his bowl, but if there is a chance of injury I'll take it out and replace with a saucer. I don't know what the humidity level is. I'll have to hit the pet store again tomorrow and return the mat and buy CHE. They din't have heat gun so ill have to check for it somewhere else. The bark mix in his enclosure should be all over the tank? Is it supposed to be real deep? I do keep it wet I have a spray bottle that I use to to spray it down and also keep the spider plant moist. Thanks again for al of the helpful information. What kind of tortoise do you have? I like that he walks around your house!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have a Sulcata. A 3.6 group of Russians, and 1.3 group of adult leopards, 1.3 group of juvenile leopards and 9 Babies I have hatched. Oh yeah hatched one Russian this year too.
G[ to a home improvement store for the temp gun. Substrate too. Pet stores are over priced for these. Things. Get a digital thermometer that reads humidity as well. I like coco coir for little leopards best, but small bark works. I pour water into the substrate. They need 80 % Humidity to grow smooth.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I should note Sully doesn't live in my house. He has a shed outside. In winter I bring him in each week for a soak. I let him dry off before taking him back out. It is very dangerous to let them wander out of enclosure. They will eat all kinds of crazy things.

Cali tortoise

I should note Sully doesn't live in my house. He has a shed outside. In winter I bring him in each week for a soak. I let him dry off before taking him back out. It is very dangerous to let them wander out of enclosure. They will eat all kinds of crazy things.
Sully is very cute I am going to A reptile store today buy CHE and a temp gun I'll let you know how it goes. Wow you have a lot of tortoises how fun! Thanks for helping me out I really appreciate it!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to the forum! The looks of your enclosure show LOVE! I think it's adorable when we try to make things "pretty" for our pets. Is your tank about 40 gal or so? Fish tank is a great choice in my opinion for a new keeper. I was one just few months ago and like most with open enclosures ai did struggle with keeping heat and humidity in. Fish tank is just so easy to cover. Once you do, all your problems are fixed! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453478495.191450.jpghere is mine, it's just 40 gal breeder, covered with reptile enclosure metal screen from petstore and with top insulated by thisImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453478715.015046.jpg and secured by this kind of adhesive tapeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453478753.300601.jpg got both at Home DepotImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453478813.547672.jpg my top all coveren looks like this. It's hinged in the middle so when opening I have to move one of the domes and be careful where I put it if it's hot, but this isn't really a problem at all! My temps don't go below 80F throughout the enclosure and humidity is always high. Hope you can use some of my ideas

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
As for the substrate, I don't use any "reptile carpets) or anything plastic. I've heard of some torts eating pieces of plastic or such resulting in medical emergencies due to obstructed GI tract. I also like nice thick layer of substrate, mine is at least 4 inches. It's bot flat, I made few "hills" in there, my babies love to climb. In some areas my substrate is 6 or more inches but I also try to grow plants in it and keep some critters to create a mini ecosystem. My goal is to not have to change the substrate at all, and so far, I haven't! In 6 months! Most members here like orchid bark and coco coir, some use cyprus wood chips and top soil. I have orchid bark on the bottom, coir with little top soil in the middle and the top is lined with different kinds of moss. I'm still trying to find some moss that would live and thrive in there but I think it's too hot for the moss so every few weeks I turn the substrate and check on the plant roots, trim the "uglies" off etc and the moss that has lost it's looks gets turned under, and replaced with new fresh clump. Hope this helps. Please ask any questions you may have.