Tort Sitter????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
So Walter is very small, just a few months old - still size of a tennis ball but growing about 1/2 inch every 6 weeks. With him being so small it is easy for me to pack him up and take him to my Mom's house to care for him when I am on vacation for a few days. My worry is what about when he is a 24/7 outside tort and too large to pack up? Is having someone come to the house daily just to ensure he has fresh water and to clean his enclosure enough? I keep hearing sidebars from friends of friends who own adult torts (not sure what species) about never being able to go on vacation because of their outdoor torts. Input on those to own adult sulcatas would be appreciated so I have the correct information. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Great question, I wonder if we all should try to start a find a Sulcata sitter in your area where an owner near you volunteers, I know I would take care of someone's torts near me for the return favor.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Sounds like a great idea. I have probably a year or so before Walter is of the age that I cannot relocate him to be cared for in my absence. I have grown children that live close and that is why I was wondering how much daily attention they require during the summer in the absence of their lowing mommies. You can only get so much time from your 20 year old during the summer months :)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Good question. It's not a lot of work to come over and prepare a meal for the tort.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I think that when your tortoise is old enough you should have grazing areas set up for it, grass, weeds etc...same with water. There are troughs that you can hook up to a hose that fills up ones the water gets down to a certain level. Some have tortoise enclosures that stay open so the tortoise goes in when it becomes night.

Others will hopefully chime in! I'm no expert though, my guy is only one year of age.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
I think its a great idea to have a sitter lined out for when you wanna go out of town or have an emergency that requires being a away for periods of time. We have my younger sister trained on what Tanks daily needs are and then we also have it wrote down (very detailed) along with phone numbers to Tanks vet and our numbers as well. I also have a notebook for her to use to log any changes she notices along with temps eating habits ect. When Tank is older and in the pasture the only thing she ill need to do is come and make sure he has water, food (altho s/he will be grazing in the pasture other veggies & mazuri will still be offered) and then put him up for the night in the barn (future tortoise bed & breakfast).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Adults? Piece of cake. Set their house up on a thermostat, dump the water so it doesn't foul, put out a flake or two of grass hay, and you can leave for a month. Soak them and refill their water when you return. If they live in an area where grass and weeds grow, all the better.

This assumes you know they will eat hay and come in and out of their box on their own. Not a bad idea to have someone stop by and check on the, once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.