Traveling with my tort

Jenny & Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh PA
I am going on vacation soon and would like to take my tort with me. We are going to my grandmothers house at the beach and I am planning on taking all of his supplies to keep him happy for the week while I am down there. I cannot leave him at my home alone for a week and my grandma really wants to meet the little guy. I am wondering though, how to transport him since I will not be able to use his heat lamp in the car on the ride down. How can I keep him warm and happy? The ride is 12 hours. Please let me know what you think. My tort is very young, only a few months and he is small so he will be easy to transport.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would soak him right before going and pack him like you would for shipping. Then soak him again as soon as you get there.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've driven for hours with the heat cranked and the temp gun pointed at my critters. I would pack him up in a shoe box or something and resist the urge to bother him much until you have his home set up at your Grandma's.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They don't like travelling, but if it's necessary, just make him secure, leave him in the dark and hope he sleeps through.
he'll quite likely poop and pee, so something absorbant under him would be good.
The above ideas are good too, i think.

Colorado
All good to know! I'd like to travel with my new guy someday too, as I wouldn't feel right letting him out of my sight!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenny:

As long as you're taking his habitat, I'd just leave him in it. It will be familiar to him and he probably won't even realize he's going someplace. There's a product called "Hot Hands." You can buy some of those if you think the car ride will be a little too cool for him:

GNW7236.zoom.a.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OOPs! Sorry - didn't realize this was an old thread. Jenny probably has already gone and come home again.