My dog confused my Sulcata for a tennis ball....Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodianne2

5 Year Member
My dog Brodie normally has nothing to do with my tortoises Kelly and Bobo except the other day he confused them for his tennis ball and now the have some holes in their shells. I am devastated they are my babies. I have them patched up but want to know what I need to watch out for or if there is anything else I should do. The only reptile vet is on vacation for 2wks. so we looked on line and did the best we could. I already thought I lost the smaller one once I don't want to take any chances. Please help me................... Thank you Jodi

M

Maggie Cummings

You can't take them to a Vet? Any Vet will do, they all would be able to care for a wound and prescribe an antibiotic but that's what you need to do. Make sure the wounds are cleaned out. Use Betadine first then Nolvasan to sterilize the wounds. Are they cracks or tears or holes? Are there pieces missing? Did they bleed? If they were mine I would take them to any Vet. That way at least you can get an antibiotic and that is really important. An antibiotic will reduce the chance of infection. Can you post pictures? Make sure you keep them clean and quiet.
This is why I always preach that dogs and tortoises don't mix. No matter what the owners think the dog always has the chance to munch on a tortoise. Dogs love to chew on tortoises, no matter how well mannered the dog is I have heard this story so often and the tortoise is always the loser.
Anyhow,that's the end of my lecture I just want dog owners to be so aware, dogs should never allowed around your tortoises.
Can you post pictures? We can help you better if we can see the type of wounds you are talking about. I won't lecture you again, so please don't leave.
Your next step is to post pictures or describe the wounds in more detail. Do you have Betadine? You can get it at any drugstore. That's very important then a Nolvasan wash is next and you can get that at a feed store...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jodi:

I think you're here in my city, no? If so, please call Dr. Sue Lynch. She's the mobile vet (makes house calls!) for our area and she used to be the vet at the Chaffee zoo. She's pretty good with tortoises and exotic animals of all kinds. Her phone number is:
241-4240

In the meantime, flush the holes out with Betadine on the first day (a couple times a day) then after than flush with Nolvesan (chlorhexidine). You can buy both of these at CVS or any drug store.

Now you've learned your lesson, right? Don't be in denial and assume that the dog thought the tortoise was a ball. Not so. He knew darned good and well that it was a live animal, and I'm also guessing he knew he wasn't supposed to touch it! You're going to have to work hard at keeping dogs and tortoises separate.

jodianne2

5 Year Member
Thank you for your help I live in merced. What is the area code for the phone number?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jodi:

Sorry, I thought you were in Fresno. Her area code is 559, but I don't know if she'll drive up to Merced.

Status
Not open for further replies.