Tort death

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Condolences on your loss. Just some thoughts on this. Did you wash the greens before feeding? Did you soak the Mazuri before feeding? Was there a possibility of impaction? I’ve heard from others that serious impaction effects come on quickly with babies. I’ve always used straight coconut coir because it passes easily through babies to adults I’ve never fed babies anything dry. Greens always washed and fed wet regardless of source and pelleted diets always soaked. I do this for hydration and as an aid in defecating. I’ve also read that not only are oxalates higher in leaf stems and big veins ( like collards) but some think big veins in collards are harder for baby torts and lizards to digest. Whether this is true or not...I don’t know...but I remove stems from all store bought plant matter and the bigger veins in collards during washing...before feeding anyway for peace of mind. I even remove the stems from dandelions I pick...though they eat the stems when grazing alone. I do this for my larger torts even though I’m not so concerned about these possibilities as I am for babies.
Trying to figure out the myriad of possible issues is frustrating. All you can do is the best you can...and you certainly put a lot of thought and care into husbandry