My Sulcata Tortoises

uptown

5 Year Member
If they are getting proper nutrition, good UV, adequate calcium, good hydration, proper temps and lots of exercise, then no, I don't think they are growing too fast.

If any of the above are lacking, then you might start to see issues. A 3500 gram tortoise in a 4x4 enclosure cannot get "enough" exercise, so that is the main issue I see for you. How are you going to exercise 8 giants for months at a time in the frozen North? When mine are below 2000 grams or so, they have 4x8' indoor closed chamber for night and cold days in winter, but they spend the vast majority of their days in large outdoor enclosures that are 30-40 feet long and wide. They literally walk every inch of those enclosures all day long. At 3500 grams, they live outside full time in their large enclosures and have a heated box for night time and our occasional cooler winter days. I can't imagine what I would do if my sulcatas had to live inside full time once they were that size. A whole room isn't big enough. I'd need a large warehouse or barn, but it would have to be insulated, heated and kept up at tropical temperatures all winter long.
They always have Grass and hay available, I have a uvb light on 12 hours a day, they get soaked every other day except for the babies they get everyday soaks and humidity is 80% and the day temperature is 90-100 and the night temp is anywhere from 80-85, they wander the whole upstairs when I am home and I block them so they can't fall down the stairs, we have a huge outdoor building I can always have heated for them until I move it's 15 ft × 10ft, my mom don't use it no more it was for our goat we used to have and there is not much that needs to be fixed on it, should I put them in there, after I get it ready for them?

uptown

5 Year Member
Pumpkin

Attachments

• 1478551407683.jpg
    1478551407683.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 24

uptown

5 Year Member
Mystery

Attachments

• 1478551552307.jpg
    1478551552307.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20

uptown

5 Year Member
Bulldozer

Attachments

• 1478551616172.jpg
    1478551616172.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 17

uptown

5 Year Member
Cinnamon

Attachments

• 1478551656240.jpg
    1478551656240.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 15

uptown

5 Year Member
Coconut

Attachments

• 1478551767573.jpg
    1478551767573.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They always have Grass and hay available, I have a uvb light on 12 hours a day, they get soaked every other day except for the babies they get everyday soaks and humidity is 80% and the day temperature is 90-100 and the night temp is anywhere from 80-85, they wander the whole upstairs when I am home and I block them so they can't fall down the stairs, we have a huge outdoor building I can always have heated for them until I move it's 15 ft × 10ft, my mom don't use it no more it was for our goat we used to have and there is not much that needs to be fixed on it, should I put them in there, after I get it ready for them?

My main concern would be your two larger, rapidly growing ones. The little guys that are under 4" will be fine over winter in your 4x4' enclosures. Its those larger ones that need more room. 10x15' would be ok for one of them to get thorough this coming winter, but each one need that much space or more. Is the goat shed well insulated enough to maintain warm temps day and night in a windy snow storm during winter? Those larger ones are likely to be 22" and 40-50 pounds by this time next year. At that point a 10x15' shed is fine for nights and an occasional day, but I thin its too small for them to live in for months at a time.

I would never let them loose on the floor in an area that is for people. Its not sanitary for you and your family, but its also not safe for the tortoise. Many people do this and think it is safe, and they think they are closely supervising, but it leads to death, sickness, injury and impaction such a large percentage of the time that its just not worth the risk. They need to be in tortoise enclosures. If their enclosure is too small to meet their exercise needs, then it needs to be made larger.

You've got some thinking to do… :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Truthfully, if you could, is it possible for you to insulate a barn-like structure or large shed? If men worked on it this week, they could have it ready by the weekend. Electricity needs to be installed (at leat two or three dedicated lines), heat lamps and heaters would need to be added. For humidity, I use a dual humidifier on full blast. This should only be used if the room or area is at least 82 degrees or higher. A small oscillating fan that can blow hot air (which rises) downward towards the ground. I also use a heat blanket by Kane. Some radiated panels are also a good idea for giving heat from above. All this can cost a pretty penny, but, if you can do it, you'll eliminate a whole lot of issues you currently have. Here's a recent pic of an insulated shed I just had completed for one of my smaller sulcatas. It's 8' x 12' and has electricity, heat blanket, heater, humidifier. When the temps fall below 40 degrees, and she doesn't spend much time outside, I'll have her heat lamp too. Although she spends so many hours outside in the sun, a UV lamp isn't necessary foe her, but where you live, I would highly recommend it.WP_20161026_17_40_45_Pro.jpg WP_20161016_09_10_21_Pro.jpg WP_20161012_16_03_21_Pro.jpg WP_20161006_15_14_21_Pro.jpg

uptown

5 Year Member
My main concern would be your two larger, rapidly growing ones. The little guys that are under 4" will be fine over winter in your 4x4' enclosures. Its those larger ones that need more room. 10x15' would be ok for one of them to get thorough this coming winter, but each one need that much space or more. Is the goat shed well insulated enough to maintain warm temps day and night in a windy snow storm during winter? Those larger ones are likely to be 22" and 40-50 pounds by this time next year. At that point a 10x15' shed is fine for nights and an occasional day, but I thin its too small for them to live in for months at a time.

I would never let them loose on the floor in an area that is for people. Its not sanitary for you and your family, but its also not safe for the tortoise. Many people do this and think it is safe, and they think they are closely supervising, but it leads to death, sickness, injury and impaction such a large percentage of the time that its just not worth the risk. They need to be in tortoise enclosures. If their enclosure is too small to meet their exercise needs, then it needs to be made larger.

Yes it is insulated, because she kept in 80 degrees in there for our goat, the upstairs of the house, is mine and the bottom is my mom's, so no one is walking up there but me and I understand what you are saying though so I will get the building together for now, I'm gonna miss them in the house they like sleeping on dog beds and blankets... I'll send pictures when I get it up and I'll get pictures of "their room"... oh and they are only 8 inches now and we just got back from their vet check up...

uptown

5 Year Member
Truthfully, if you could, is it possible for you to insulate a barn-like structure or large shed? If men worked on it this week, they could have it ready by the weekend. Electricity needs to be installed (at leat two or three dedicated lines), heat lamps and heaters would need to be added. For humidity, I use a dual humidifier on full blast. This should only be used if the room or area is at least 82 degrees or higher. A small oscillating fan that can blow hot air (which rises) downward towards the ground. I also use a heat blanket by Kane. Some radiated panels are also a good idea for giving heat from above. All this can cost a pretty penny, but, if you can do it, you'll eliminate a whole lot of issues you currently have. Here's a recent pic of an insulated shed I just had completed for one of my smaller sulcatas. It's 8' x 12' and has electricity, heat blanket, heater, humidifier. When the temps fall below 40 degrees, and she doesn't spend much time outside, I'll have her heat lamp too. Although she spends so many hours outside in the sun, a UV lamp isn't necessary foe her, but where you live, I would highly recommend it.View attachment 191606 View attachment 191607 View attachment 191608 View attachment 191609
Thank you!!

uptown

5 Year Member

I have another question, what is the minimum amount of land so when I am looking for a house I know about how much land too look for

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have another question, what is the minimum amount of land so when I am looking for a house I know about how much land too look for

There really is not set rule for this. Its about how people "feel" about it. An adult sulcata will not drop dead if someone were to put it into a 10x10' enclosure. I think that is much too small and I wouldn't house one that way, but some people do. Other people think that each tortoise needs a full acre. While I think a full acre would be great, I don't see that as "necessary" for maintaining a healthy tortoise.

I will share this. My enclosure is 7000 square feet and it wraps around 4 sides of a big building. There is one long stretch that is 214' in a straight line. They use every inch of this enclosure and walk up and down the hills and straightaways every day. Still, I wish it were bigger. No one ever builds and enclosure for their tortoise and wishes they'd made it smaller.

Here is my adult enclosure for reference:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

It's estimated that there should be about 1 acre of land for one sulcata. You not only have a ton of other animals, but you have 8 sulcatas, two of which are Sudanese. So, it's safe to say you'll need about 10 acres at the very least. Now, property is expensive in most places, but especially in New York and California. If you'd reconsider where you want to move, I would look in Florida. There are tons of areas with farms. For instance, central Florida offers acres of land outside of the Orlando limits. Having said that, most owners of torts, like myself, have a couple of sulcatas, and I don't have 2-3 acres of property. But they do have a large area to graze and walk around in. And, they have a large inside enclosure for sleeping in. With the animals you have, you need a farm and a barn, for sure.

uptown

5 Year Member
There really is not set rule for this. Its about how people "feel" about it. An adult sulcata will not drop dead if someone were to put it into a 10x10' enclosure. I think that is much too small and I wouldn't house one that way, but some people do. Other people think that each tortoise needs a full acre. While I think a full acre would be great, I don't see that as "necessary" for maintaining a healthy tortoise.

I will share this. My enclosure is 7000 square feet and it wraps around 4 sides of a big building. There is one long stretch that is 214' in a straight line. They use every inch of this enclosure and walk up and down the hills and straightaways every day. Still, I wish it were bigger. No one ever builds and enclosure for their tortoise and wishes they'd made it smaller.

Here is my adult enclosure for reference:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/
Thank you, I'll try and find a house with at least 10 acres...

uptown

5 Year Member
It's estimated that there should be about 1 acre of land for one sulcata. You not only have a ton of other animals, but you have 8 sulcatas, two of which are Sudanese. So, it's safe to say you'll need about 10 acres at the very least. Now, property is expensive in most places, but especially in New York and California. If you'd reconsider where you want to move, I would look in Florida. There are tons of areas with farms. For instance, central Florida offers acres of land outside of the Orlando limits. Having said that, most owners of torts, like myself, have a couple of sulcatas, and I don't have 2-3 acres of property. But they do have a large area to graze and walk around in. And, they have a large inside enclosure for sleeping in. With the animals you have, you need a farm and a barn, for sure.
I'll try to find a house with at least 10 acres for the tortoises, and the dogs but I might leave them with my mom because she loves them and I don't know how they will do without her because they cry when she is not home so I couldn't imagine them away from her forever, and my pigs stay in the house they are minis and here is a picture of them...
38b275ab1c1c4e4426094d70a9cadd33.jpg

uptown

5 Year Member
And I'll be looking at houses in Florida, California, or Arizona

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'll try to find a house with at least 10 acres for the tortoises, and the dogs but I might leave them with my mom because she loves them and I don't know how they will do without her because they cry when she is not home so I couldn't imagine them away from her forever, and my pigs stay in the house they are minis and here is a picture of them...
They're so cute! Well, if you're looking for a house, and you have even half the land that's recommended (5 acres), you'll be doing good. I think you can build a insulted, barn-like structure with heat blankets, etc., and your sulcatas will be very happy! Get ideas from this forum on everything you plan to do, and that will help you immensely.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
And I'll be looking at houses in Florida, California, or Arizona
Florida has the better climate for your torts. Also, land is cheaper, I believe, than in California. Arizona's climate is too dry for your babies. Many sulcatas that come from Arizona are sick, pyramided, and in poor shape. My special needs tort, Baby Runt, came from Arizona. She was near death when I adopted her. Happy hunting.

uptown

5 Year Member
Florida has the better climate for your torts. Also, land is cheaper, I believe, than in California. Arizona's climate is too dry for your babies. Many sulcatas that come from Arizona are sick, pyramided, and in poor shape. My special needs tort, Baby Runt, came from Arizona. She was near death when I adopted her. Happy hunting.
Ok I'll look at places in Florida first...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Our lot size is between 1/2 acre and 1/4 acre. The house and front yard, which Charlie doesn't have access to, take up a lot of room. So I'd say he has less than 5000 square feet. I feel that is ample. When you have several tortoises, you'll want to be able to give them separate enclosures. If those enclosures are right next to each other and they can see or hear each other, that could cause problems so you should take that into account.

Your pigs are adorable.

Land in California is very expensive. There are areas that aren't quite as bad but I think it is still more than most of the rest of the country. You'd probably want to avoid the Northern part because of the weather. I agree, Florida is probably the easiest place to raise tortoises. Your dogs wouldn't do well in the heat.