Scared to death...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadHeadMomma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Anderson, IN
In my enclosure I have a 125 watt MVB, a 75 watt heat bulb and a CHE for night time. It usually stays around 100-105 directly under the MVB for the basking spot, 85-90 on the warm side, and 75-80 on the cool side.

Tonight it got a little warmer than normal in the house and I didn't even think about it messing with the temp in the enclosure. Well I went to check on Donatello and he was sitting weird in front of his humid hide. He was breathing heavy (I could see his throat moving pretty fast), and he was moving his front legs back and forth.

When I checked the temperatures it was 100 on the cool side and 120 on the warm side :( I felt so horrible. I turned off the regular heat lamp and the temperatures dropped back down to normal. He's been back up walking around and eating like normal. He's currently asleep in his hide. He seems fine but I feel so bad for not checking his cage.

It was probably only an hour or so that the enclosure was so hot. Will he be ok?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would give him a soak just yo make sure he did not lose too much hydration....and if he went back to business as usual then I would say he is lucky you noticed something in time and he should be fine :D. Again, I would offer him up a soak to be on the safe side ....

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
ascott said:
I would give him a soak just yo make sure he did not lose too much hydration....and if he went back to business as usual then I would say he is lucky you noticed something in time and he should be fine :D. Again, I would offer him up a soak to be on the safe side ....

I agree. Give a soak, not too warm, and make sure he gets a good soak. Keep an eye on him for a while, if everything seems normal I'm sure he's ok. Good luck! You're right that is scary!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Time for a thermostat on that heat bulb and CHE.

DreadHeadMomma

5 Year Member
Anderson, IN
Thank you :) I soaked him for about 25 minutes and he really seemed to enjoy it. As of now everything seems to be back to normal. I'm feeling a little better. I'll definitely be keeping an extra eye on him for a few days.

Tom said:
Time for a thermostat on that heat bulb and CHE.

Yeah, I'll definitely be getting one this week. I don't want to chance not noticing something like that again.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would def have 2 thermostats in the habitat. One on cool side and one on warm side. Thats what I do then I also have a metal temp probe that I put under his UVB light to check it about every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.