Torkoal says hello

Jes_Janelle

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Hi guys, Jessica here, from Miami, Florida! Wanting to introduce myself and my new red foot tortoise, Torkoal. I've had him for a week now. Been doing a lot of googling this week and since I keep coming up on TF responses I figured I'd make and account and introduce ourselves.

Torkoal is a shy little guy, but when you take him outside he loves to walk around a lot. I've been learning a lot about his likes and dislikes. He loves his spring mix lettuce, tiny mazuri bites and strawberries. He's not very fond of kiwi.. at least at the moment; he didn't even give it a chance. Haha.

I keep saying 'he' but I don't know if it's a he/she yet actually. Previous owners said he's approximately 8 months old. They had way too many reptiles and the wife said he couldn't just show up at home with another pet. Lol. So I gave Torkoal a new home. :] I previously had a sulcata, but I found out that they had sold him too young to me and he passed away. Due to that I hadn't really wanted to get another tortoise until now when I felt ready. Torkoal's previous name was Torty, but I changed it because he looks just like the pokemon, Torkoal. Haha. He loves to burrow in his substrate and leave little trails. It's like playing hide and seek with him. I learned off of the forums that red foots need around 70% humidity so I got a fogger today since I have an open top (vented) enclosure. I think thanks to that he's been super active today.

When he gets bigger I plan to move him outside, but right now I feel he's still too small; he struggles to walk on the grass even when it's short so I typically have him walk around the concrete more. I gotta say...he is a pooper. Every time I soak him, he leaves me what he considers a nice surprise. Hahaha! It's only been a week and I'm sure the home movement made him stressed, also cause he used to live with a lizard and they were pals, so he probably misses his buddy; but little by little he's becoming more active.

Look forward to talking to y'all on the forums and getting to know your tortoises as well! :] Have a nice day!

Attachments

• 20160901_130438.jpg
    20160901_130438.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20160904_195014.jpg
    20160904_195014.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Collage 2016-08-30 13_44_28.jpg
    Collage 2016-08-30 13_44_28.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160828_182935.jpg
    20160828_182935.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20160903_105925.jpg
    20160903_105925.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Jessica, and a very warm welcome to tortoise forum to you and Torkoal. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi guys, Jessica here, from Miami, Florida! Wanting to introduce myself and my new red foot tortoise, Torkoal. I've had him for a week now. Been doing a lot of googling this week and since I keep coming up on TF responses I figured I'd make and account and introduce ourselves.

Torkoal is a shy little guy, but when you take him outside he loves to walk around a lot. I've been learning a lot about his likes and dislikes. He loves his spring mix lettuce, tiny mazuri bites and strawberries. He's not very fond of kiwi.. at least at the moment; he didn't even give it a chance. Haha.

I keep saying 'he' but I don't know if it's a he/she yet actually. Previous owners said he's approximately 8 months old. They had way too many reptiles and the wife said he couldn't just show up at home with another pet. Lol. So I gave Torkoal a new home. :] I previously had a sulcata, but I found out that they had sold him too young to me and he passed away. Due to that I hadn't really wanted to get another tortoise until now when I felt ready. Torkoal's previous name was Torty, but I changed it because he looks just like the pokemon, Torkoal. Haha. He loves to burrow in his substrate and leave little trails. It's like playing hide and seek with him. I learned off of the forums that red foots need around 70% humidity so I got a fogger today since I have an open top (vented) enclosure. I think thanks to that he's been super active today.

When he gets bigger I plan to move him outside, but right now I feel he's still too small; he struggles to walk on the grass even when it's short so I typically have him walk around the concrete more. I gotta say...he is a pooper. Every time I soak him, he leaves me what he considers a nice surprise. Hahaha! It's only been a week and I'm sure the home movement made him stressed, also cause he used to live with a lizard and they were pals, so he probably misses his buddy; but little by little he's becoming more active.

Look forward to talking to y'all on the forums and getting to know your tortoises as well! :] Have a nice day!
Hi and a very warm welcome to you and your cute tort to the forum.

Please give Torkoal time to adapt: torts do not like change so they need time to get used to a new place.