Hello!

ShellyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Florida
We have had a sulcata hatchling for almost a month. He(?) was about 6 weeks old when we purchased him from a woman in Daytona. My son (11) has named him "Donut" (My vote was for Sam or Frodo, but since the tortoise was bought for my son, he had final choice.).

We love him! I have to admit, he eats a lot more than I was expecting for such a little guy! He eats about a 50-50 mix of St. Augustine grass and spring mix, with a little zoomed grassland and wheat grass sprinkled in (he ignores both of those). I have weeds in my yard, but I don't know what they are and if he can eat them. I bought some rephashy on sale at the pet store and I've given it to him a few times and he eats it, but I'm not sure if it is really good for him or not. I give him a pinch of calcium plus D3 twice a week in his food. He gets 15 minute soaks every day (it was every other day at first, but I've read on the forum that he should have daily soaks). He gets to go outside occasionally, but it has been raining a lot the last couple of weeks and he's hardly been out at all.

I followed the advice of his previous owner and purchased a tortoise table for him (she was selling those, too). I now know (forum!) that he needs a different kind of home since I can't keep his humidity up with a table (around 30-40% outside the hide, 70% inside the hide). I use coco coir for bedding. I have a 20G long aquarium, would I be able to move him in there? Previous owner said not use an aquarium.

I have a powersun 100w lamp that hangs over the table during the day and a CHE that hangs over his hide at night. I think it still gets a little cool for him, though. The CHE keeps the hide about 79-80 degrees. He's stopped going into the hide on his own at night and burrows out on the table, but I move him into the hide because once I turn off the powersun it is warmer inside the hide than outside.

I have learned a lot by reading the forum, and hope to learn much more! Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to a great place for information and inspiration.
Do you have any night heat for him?
I have a leopard and use mvb at day but at night I use a CHE on a thermostat to keep the temps even.
This just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep.
If you check the caresheet for sullies under Species Specific that will tell you what temp range you should have but I believe that babies need heat day and night, hopefully a more experienced keeper will be able to tell you more about that.
A good rule to remember is
heat +humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort
It will also list all the foods that are recommended for him.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good place to ID plants and find out what is safe or not.
Good Luck to you all and Donut.

ShellyG

5 Year Member
NE Florida
Donut.

Attachments

• 1441921586645.jpg
    1441921586645.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1441921614741.jpg
    1441921614741.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1441921655285.jpg
    1441921655285.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 12

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Shelly, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, your son and Donut.
He will need a bigger enclosure very soon.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
What type of bulb are you using ? Not a coiled or compact, I hope, they can be very bad for young tortoises eyes.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert Shelly !
m0754.gif