TNT with or without probiotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
:) Hello: I am new to the Tortoise Forum. I have learned a lot from this forum and just love it. I am the proud mommy of a 4 month old Russian Tortoise that my daughters bought me for Mother's Day.

My question is should I purchase the TNT supplement with or without probiotics for my baby Russian. Thank you.

chadk

10 Year Member!
With. Unless your vet or you have a specific reason not to....

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I've been curious if the probiotics affect the shelf life. Something I should probably ask them but haven't gotten around to it. I bought it with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Carol:

300991lic6cn0tsx.gif

to the forum!!

Yvonne

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
emysemys said:
Hi Carol:

300991lic6cn0tsx.gif

to the forum!!

Yvonne

THANK YOU!

I have learned so much from the forum. I really appreciate everybody taking the time to answer my questions.

S

stells

Without unless there is a need to use them... such as a tortoise that has been medicated lately...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Without unless you really need them. Probiotics is a catch-term for beneficial micro-organisms that the body needs for things like digestion and more. While the research is on-going, there is little evidence that they are useful for general consumption.

Their main benefit is to help restore a natural 'flora' after some medical treatments, etc. General anti-biotics, for example, often kill off a lot of the body's flora and often induce diarrhea because of it. Probiotics can help fix this. You can accomplish much the same thing with active-culture yogurts and animals often do it by eating the feces of healthy animals.

My 'no vote' is based on a general principle- throwing things with fancy names in the diet is no guarantee that the diet is better. I continue to think that the best diet goal is to offer food that is varied, fresh, and as wholesome/organic as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.