Timothy hay too tough for 6 months old too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
My 6 months old Indian star is having problem eating chopped Timothy hay. it's too hard and they almost choked. Anyone having this problem also?

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I normally chop & powder the Timothy hay (or any dried weeds) in a blender and store in a glass jar, sprinkle some on the fresh veggie at each feeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dry hay is not an appropriate food for most tortoises. Only big sulcatas will eat dry hay in most cases. Babies will have an especially hard time with it. You can chop it up finely with scissors, rehydrate and mix it with some greens, if you really want to feed it to them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JoesMum said:
You might find DeanS's "Tortoise Meatball" recipe helpful in this thread

:) We use O&A hay also, chop it very fine and a small amount, Soaked within the mix for our young tortoises.

14b6nme.jpg

Dagashi

5 Year Member
ahhhhhhhhhhh....

That's cause we read somewhere that timothy hay is good for star torts. But they were having so much of trouble with it. We've removed it completely now. We found that they eat Romaine lettuce the easiest because its not so flat and doens't get stuck to the feeding dish

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
find something better then Romain.. its empty nutrition.
start reading up on dietary needs, calcium etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Laura. Some romaine is fine once in a while, but they need a varied diet.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Cuttlefish bone is always there, as well as we sprinkle some calcium on their food occasionally.
We've also gave them a mix of hibiscus leaves and flowers but they don't seem too interested in those anymore. We've tried one sweetpea pod but we were a bit afraid it might be poisonous. We also tried curry leaves, but stopped. I have pea shoots as well but am also afraid to give any to them.

We've been reading up alot on what to feed them but alot of the names here in Malaysia for greens are different. and the varieties are different too. So we're really unsure what to give them. We tried some celery but found that to be not good for them, and carrots too. They seem to like eating the weeds that grow outside our house but we have no idea what those weeds are and stopped them.

If only there was an app that you could take a picture of the plant and know if it's safe for them to eat!!

p.s. we've been giving them romain for 2 days. that's cause we bought romain specially for them and they only eat about 3-4 leaves a day. it should be done in another 2 days.

I'm waiting to get my supply of mazuri so its not so mind boggling! hehehe

my torts are eating everything that we don't eat!!

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Go to thetortoisetable.com they have a good list of safe and unsafe plants with pictures.

cljohnson said:
Go to thetortoisetable.com they have a good list of safe and unsafe plants with pictures.

Sorry that is .org not .com

Status
Not open for further replies.