Bermuda and Timothy Hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
so..i just bought 2kg of timothy hay and does baby star tortoises eat the hay??i was woondering cause..i put some to thier foods and they dont eat it..so..any advice is welcomed:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know stars very well, but most torts won't eat the dry stuff when they are little. Also, I like to start them on the bermuda hay to begin with as its a little finer and softer. I usually start them by using some scissors, holding a clump in the other hand and "trimming" a little on top of their normal food and mixing it in. In other words, once the dry clippings are on top of the salad, I toss the salad. Over time I gradually increase the proportion. I usually don't start this until they are 4-5", but it could be done at anytime if the dry grass trimmings are small and soft enough. This is all assuming that they've been eating freshly trimmed, live, green grass too.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've always had the same experience with young Northern Mediterranean and Russian species. They rarely, if ever, consume hay. But they will more frequently as they get older. For the most part the species I keep are not grass eater anyways. They tend to pick out any dry weeds and leave the grass. Weeds, even dried, have far more nutrional value overall than do grasses.

I do not know a Stars diet requirements enough to know how much dried grasses they might normally consume.

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
ok..i will cut to small little pieces and soak with water to soften it :p

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My little stars don't eat it either. In fact, except for my old Desert tort, I have never seen any of my torts eat it hay - but I keep it available just in case - and they love to burrow in it.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I saw in petco which I bought was timothy hay with daffodils mixed in by Kaytee. I can't wait to see when my baby comes if he may be intested in the daffys:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.