Sonoran Eating Timothy Hay

Dovey

Location (City and/or State)
New River, AZ
I actually initially provided hay for nesting and hiding, but I notice my Sonora girl is eating a lot of timothy hay. I have a great source in Idaho that ships a really nice quality soft hay. Very few big stems. Is this the best choice for dining? What about alfalfa hay or orchard grass? I believe both of those are somewhat higher in protein than timothy hay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Orchard grass hay is good too. That's great that your tortoise will eat the hay. Makes it a whole lot easier to feed them once the weeds have all been dispatched.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I actually initially provided hay for nesting and hiding, but I notice my Sonora girl is eating a lot of timothy hay. I have a great source in Idaho that ships a really nice quality soft hay. Very few big stems. Is this the best choice for dining? What about alfalfa hay or orchard grass? I believe both of those are somewhat higher in protein than timothy hay.
I prefer orchard grass hay. Hand in hand with hay, I feed a lot of opuntia pads. The moisture and lubrication from the opuntia really helps to offset the dry ness of the hay. And opuntia is one of their natural food too! You can get opuntia from any Mexican grocery store, or order it online and grow your own. Tyler and Sarah at Tortoisesupply.com sell opuntia pads.

Dovey

New River, AZ
Orchard grass hay is good too. That's great that your tortoise will eat the hay. Makes it a whole lot easier to feed them once the weeds have all been dispatched.
Yeah, that was pretty much back in February around here! Its 100 degrees and dry as a stick outside. And the damned invasive globe chamomile is displacing so much natural forage--then browning out! :-( If I weren't growing kohlrabi greens, I don't know what I would have to feed that grows on the place! Looking for desert willow shrubs for her paddock in native nurseries. She also seems to be developing a taste for comfrey. That's helpful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, that was pretty much back in February around here! Its 100 degrees and dry as a stick outside. And the damned invasive globe chamomile is displacing so much natural forage--then browning out! :-( If I weren't growing kohlrabi greens, I don't know what I would have to feed that grows on the place! Looking for desert willow shrubs for her paddock in native nurseries. She also seems to be developing a taste for comfrey. That's helpful!
Mulberry leaves, grape leaves, lavatera leaves and flowers, and lots of different types of opuntia.