Timer plug keeps blowing UVA spotlight bulb. Help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What wattage for the incandescent flood bulb please? I'm overwhelmed with all the choices when I look on the Internet.
I usually start with a 65 watt and let my thermometer guide me from there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Thank you. Perfect. But what about the UV? Does he need a separate source for that? He goes outside most days but he hasn't come out for 3 days (he doesn't like the rain).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. Perfect. But what about the UV? Does he need a separate source for that? He goes outside most days but he hasn't come out for 3 days (he doesn't like the rain).
I see a large sulcata in your profile pic. Is that what you are asking about? This thread if for a small Testudo species for a UK member. Heat lamps should not be used over large sulcatas. Its not safe. For info on how to heat a large sulcata, start your own thread in the sulcata section.

UV bulbs are not needed for tortoises that live outside or get outside regularly.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
I see a large sulcata in your profile pic. Is that what you are asking about? This thread if for a small Testudo species for a UK member. Heat lamps should not be used over large sulcatas. Its not safe. For info on how to heat a large sulcata, start your own thread in the sulcata section.

UV bulbs are not needed for tortoises that live outside or get outside regularly.
Sorry, you are right, I'm in the wrong section. Yes it is for a sulcata. He is well heated now following advice on this forum (a radiant heat panel and mat and oil filled storage heater all hooked to thermostats). I haven't got a heat lamp for him, I was getting confused thinking the UV bulb was referred to as a heat lamp because it kicks out so much heat. Don't worry about replying, you've given me the advice I need, thank you very much.

Reactions: Tom