Time to stop lurking...

pclare

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
and start posting :). I've been visiting for ages -- especially, of course, ogling and taking screenshots of habitats. Do we ever stop building habitats? Don't answer that. -- and I was surprised when I realized that I hadn't ever created a login name.

I'm clare, I'm in northern NJ, and although I adore tortoises, I didn't know much about them when I was starting out, so I veered toward boxies. I bought my first turtle "Molly" in NYC when I was young and knew nothing -- they said it was an "Asian box turtle," easy to care for, and in my price range ~$35. I got home and realized this thing couldn't even close up, so ... definitely not a box turtle. Also, webbed feet. Hmmm ...

Mind you, this was 1995, pre-Internet. I had to buy a BOOK -- the first of many. The green Carl Ernst book led me to discover that I had a Mauremys (then Annamemys) annamensis (Vietnamese pond turtle). So...20 years later: Molly was renamed Simon when he "exposed" himself the first time he submerged fully -- yikes! -- and he's still going strong.

He was followed by a pair of African sidenecks (three babies), a pair of Chinese boxies (five babies), a female Mississippi River cooter, and a male three toed box (Samson - my profile pic). A female three-toed was brought to me as an adoption/rescue request, and a female Eastern was brought to me for rehab/rescue. Samson mates with both of these females now, and there are three babies -- I think from Martha, the Eastern.

Final count: 20 turts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Glad you stopped the lurking, it gives me a creepy feeling :p:D Kidding of course.
Glad you joined us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Clare, and welcome to the Forum!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello Clare "the lurker", glad you overcame your lurking and began posting! A most Welcome!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hi Clare, and welcome to the Forum! Good to have you here.