Thoughts????

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ok, turtle people: I am trying to decide if I should release my now 1-year old Mississippi mud turtle, Jacques or not.

I got him as a wild hatchling. My neighbor teaches biology in a middle school in a nearby town where a river empties into Lake Pontchartrain here in south Louisiana. Every year dozens and dozens of turtles hatch near their school, many wander into the streets etc. The kids at her school have all learned that when they start finding little hatchling turtles on the basketball court, in the street etc (even in the halls of the school!!) they should bring them to Mrs. B. The hatchlings become temporary class pets as each group of students learns about the turtles. They research them to determine what kind each is, and set up the classroom habitats most appropriate to the species. Every year they raise red bellied sliders, red eared sliders, various box turtles and mud turtles. By the time school lets out in late May, the hatchlings have grown significantly in their temporary foster home, and my friend releases them.
With 2 exceptions: last year she kept 1 mud turtle as a permanent pet in an aquarium in her home and gave one to me- I named him Jacques.

I had intended to keep Jacques as a permanent pet. But now I'm reconsidering.
Last week I decided to give him some live prey instead of his usual turtle pellets, and bought 6 guppies. He INSTANTLY became a VERY active hunter!!!! He was all over the tank, creeping in the plants and clearly following the fish. The next morning it became apparent he had gotten one, because there were a few remaining guppy parts caught up in the filter intake. The remaining 5 fish were clustered at the opposite end of the tank, together facing the end where Jacques was hiding. I felt really bad for them, because they were going to get picked off and eaten, one by one: they knew it and were trying to stay alive. (YES, I KNOW: I'M A TOTAL WIMP!!!!). My neighbor also keeps a fish aquarium in her classroom, and brings the fish home during the summer, and she readily agreed to take the guppies. I scooped them up and brought them to her, with great relief.

Now Jacques is back to being cute but quiet and just hanging out until it's time for him to be fed again.
I was amazed at the difference in him when he was presented with live prey. Now I can't help but wonder: even though it would be more dangerous for him, would it be best if I release him back into the wild?

Thoughts?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I guess you would have to look at it as wether it is good for the turtle or not to be released into the wild? he will face a lot of dangerous. predators, people, cars what have you. you could always use brine shrimp as food worms of different types. looking at it I would say he would be happier living with you

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I guess you would have to look at it as wether it is good for the turtle or not to be released into the wild? he will face a lot of dangerous. predators, people, cars what have you. you could always use brine shrimp as food worms of different types. looking at it I would say he would be happier living with you
Thank you!!! :)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't think turtles that have lived in captivity should be released, but I'm not sure if the practice of bringing in wild hatchlings to raise up should be encouraged. I'd try to find live food offerings you are comfortable with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It it my opinion, that a turtle or tortoise raised from a hatchling in captivity is not a good candidate for wild release. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it would be hard for him to learn how to forage and find food, since it has always been given to him by his human

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't think turtles that have lived in captivity should be released, but I'm not sure if the practice of bringing in wild hatchlings to raise up should be encouraged. I'd try to find live food offerings you are comfortable with.
Thanks, Sarah! :)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
if i saw my turtle picking off fishes i put in his tank, i would wimp out and take them out too. I dont even want to go fishing because i feel bad for the worms when you prick the hook through them and the pain the fish go through when the hook is hooked in their mouth. :(
Im a big wimp .

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
if i saw my turtle picking off fishes i put in his tank, i would wimp out and take them out too. I dont even want to go fishing because i feel bad for the worms when you prick the hook through them and the pain the fish go through when the hook is hooked in their mouth. :(
Im a big wimp .
So glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!! :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Release him!
What you've done has a name...it's called head starting. They do it with sea turtles, alligator snapping turtles and many other species here in the US. Not to mention the numerous species of Asian turtles in India, Vietnam... and then American turtles in Central America, and the the thousands of Amazon river turtles in S. A.
Young turtles adapt ASAP and do just fine after release.
Don't fall prey to anthropomorphic guilt, you've done a fine thing by getting the little guy started, but this doesn't mean you're obligated for the next 60 years.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think you can find a happy medium..

Can you create a nice, natural, (predator proof) outdoor pond that would mimic a patch of the wild? He could have the live fish in there to hunt and you don't have to watch them hide in horror.
Keeping them in what I call "wild patches" is a perfect combination IMO. They are safe and you can see them whenever you want but the enclosure is so natural they get the enrichments and benefits of the wild.

This can go for turtles or tortoises.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think you can find a happy medium..

Can you create a nice, natural, (predator proof) outdoor pond that would mimic a patch of the wild? He could have the live fish in there to hunt and you don't have to watch them hide in horror.
Keeping them in what I call "wild patches" is a perfect combination IMO. They are safe and you can see them whenever you want but the enclosure is so natural they get the enrichments and benefits of the wild.

This can go for turtles or tortoises.
That's a really cool idea!!!! :)