A short thread on my little muddy

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, fellow turtle lovers!
This is a short thread on my little mud turtle, Jacques.

I am incredibly fortunate to live in one of the world's turtle "hot spots": the Southeast US, Louisiana, to be specific. Jacques came to the through my neighbor, who is a middle school teacher. The school where she teaches is in a town situated in a very low-lying area where the Tchefuncte River (It's a Native American word that is pronounced
chih-FUNK-tuh :)) flows into Lake Pontchartrain. The lake (which forms part of the boundary of New Orleans) is brackish and affected by tides due to its close connection with the Gulf of Mexico. Every Spring, TONS of baby turtles hatch out and wander all over the streets, yards and driveways of the town and the school. The school custodian finds baby box turtles WALKING DOWN THE HALLS of the school, after somehow finding a way in!!!

The kids have learned to grab up any babies they find and bring them to the biology teacher, Mrs. B, who is my neighbor. She turns their finds into lessons which last several weeks. The kids research what kinds of turtles they are, what habitat they need and help set up separate habitats for each species. They learn about humidity, hiding places, food and UV light. The kids love it and will FIGHT over who gets to change the water bowls or whose turn it is to feed them. Of course they give them all names. My friend comes in on the weekend and checks on them. After several weeks, when the babies have gotten a good head start on growth, she releases them into the bayous near the school. Typically they get various types of sliders and boxies, and a few mud turtles.

When the babies are REALLY small, she brings them home to keep a close eye on them herself. My little turtle got smuggled into the school in a boy's backpack after being found in the street. She thought he was a Mississippi mud turtle, since that's what we seem to most often get, but as he's growing, it appears he's either an Eastern Mud turtle or an Eastern-Mississippi intergrade. He was several months old when I got him. In the picture, he is in 4 inches of water, so you can see how small he was back in March of this year. IMG_8388.JPG

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to watch everything I could find on Jacques Cousteau as well. I would sit transfixed in front of the TV. To this day I have never lost that sense of wonder and awe with everything in the world's water ways. I wonder how many marine biologists, oceanographers and other people who grew up to love and work with the sea were created by this one mans efforts...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
At first, I tried keeping live plants in his tank, but he basically destroyed them all. So all his plants now are plastic, which is fine with me. He STILL dug them all up, which interfered with the aesthetic appeal of the tank. :p
fullsizeoutput_1ba.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I used to watch everything I could find on Jacques Cousteau as well. I would sit transfixed in front of the TV. To this day I have never lost that sense of wonder and awe with everything in the world's water ways. I wonder how many marine biologists, oceanographers and other people who grew up to love and work with the sea were created by this one mans efforts...
YESSSSS!!!!!! :<3::):<3::):<3::):<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I now keep his plants tied to Mopani wood and the acrylic caves in his tank, and that works well.
He gets himself into the silliest positions!!!!!!!IMG_9154.JPG

IMG_9763.JPG

He stayed in that last position for about 15 minutes: watching US watch HIM!!!!!! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Obviously, at this young age (I think he'll be 2 in the Spring) I have no clue as to his true gender. I'll call him Jacques until it's clear he needs a name change! :p

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Very neat. You live aquatic turtle heaven. I've always wanted to explore southern Louisiana for the map turtles, the southern painted turtles, the mud turtles and of course, the alligator snappers.
And the food! I love real Cajun table fare. A young guy who works with me has family in Gonzales just south of Baton Rouge. His mom owns a diner there.

Anyway, Jacques Cousteau influenced an entire generation of us...I can still recall the theme music from the TV show!
And for what it's worth, your Jacques is clearly a GIRL:oops:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Very neat. You live aquatic turtle heaven. I've always wanted to explore southern Louisiana for the map turtles, the southern painted turtles, the mud turtles and of course, the alligator snappers.
And the food! I love real Cajun table fare. A young guy who works with me has family in Gonzales just south of Baton Rouge. His mom owns a diner there.

Anyway, Jacques Cousteau influenced an entire generation of us...I can still recall the theme music from the TV show!
At less than 2 years old you can tell "he's" a girl??? I thought they had to be at least 5 before you could determine gender????

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Come visit anytime!!!! :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
At less than 2 years old you can tell "he's" a girl??? I thought they had to be at least 5 before you could determine gender????

I was going by apparent size. Jacques appears (from the photos) to be about 3 inches long (straight line length). Is that about right?
If so, a male of even just a couple of years would have a much longer tail.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I was going by apparent size. Jacques appears (from the photos) to be about 3 inches long (straight line length). Is that about right?
If so, a male of even just a couple of years would have a much longer tail.
I'd say that's right! :)
Looks like we're in for a name change...something French, I think...:p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've changed my mind, and am leaning towards "Liz!" It's short, cute and sassy- like HER!!! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
...unless I stick with Jacques, even though she's a girl...:confused:
Decisions, decisions! o_O:)