Eastern vs Mississippi mud turtle: how to tell?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I got Jacques as a little hatchling, and was told he is a Mississippi mud turtle. But since then I've had some reasons to question the seller's knowledge of turtles.
I know it doesn't really matter if Jacques is an Eastern mud turtle or a Mississippi mud turtle, but I'd like to know the difference. From what I've found on the 'Net, the differences seem pretty tenuous.
So how do I tell which he really is?
Thanks! :)

Berkeley

Easterns generally have spotted or mottled skin on their head and neck, whereas Mississippi muds have a faint(ish) stripe- they look more like striped mud turtles.

--Berkeley

Berkeley

Hey Bea! Thanks for the pictures. That sure looks like Jacques is an Eastern mud to me. He does have some very faint evidence of stripes on the side of his head, so there is a chance he's an intergrade, but I'm going to call him an Eastern.

Regardless, he looks good! You've done great raising him!

--Berkeley

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hey Bea! Thanks for the pictures. That sure looks like Jacques is an Eastern mud to me. He does have some very faint evidence of stripes on the side of his head, so there is a chance he's an intergrade, but I'm going to call him an Eastern.

Regardless, he looks good! You've done great raising him!

--Berkeley

Thank you SO MUCH, Berkeley!!!!:):):)
I am very grateful for your expert opinion!
And thank you for the compliment!:)