Meet Jacques! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Would love to see the whole tank and basking area too
IMG_8402.JPG IMG_8403.JPG IMG_8404.JPG

The tank is 20 gal long. The "play sand" (which I rinsed a bunch before putting it in) is about 2 inches deep. There's a big fake acrylic log with lots of ledges and gaps in it running down the center. The heater is behind it and is set at 78*. The basking light is a 25 watt incandescent bulb and heats the floating log below it to about 95*. The acrylic basking log is hollow and bottom-weighted so it won't roll. I've seen him about 3/4 of the way up on it- don't know if he couldn't get all the way on it because it bobbed or if he just spooked because he saw me. I'm not totally happy with the log, mainly because I thought he was going to be smaller: He grew significantly since I last saw him in June- what a surprise-DOH!!!! I just didn't think he'd grow quite so fast.

Thoughts on a better basking platform, or is this OK? :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
How is he getting his uvb ?
It was suggested to me that in the warmer weather I can take him outside in a smaller tub for 20 min or so, 2-3 days per week. So the light on his tank is heat only.

I'm also very confused about mud turtles and basking. I've see statements that they seldom bask, then other statements that they bask "aggressively."

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They bask ,but not as much as sliders . My sliders got to be too much work indoors so I made them the outdoor pond for cheap . I think you've seen it in my pond thread .

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
A while back I bought one of those floating turtle docks that attaches to the tank with suction cups, but the dock itself reeks of plastic/chemical smells. I really didn't want to put that in my tank, and have those gasses or whatever, getting in his water. Am I being too picky?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used one of the turtle clicks before. I didn't have the smell you speak of. Maybe take it back and exchange it. Maybe its just a bad one. That said, if you do use one, find a better way to attach it. My suctions always came loose from the glass.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When we first put him in the tank, the sand was very smooth. He hid in the "shelves" on his big acrylic log all day and didn't BUDGE. But in the morning we found the bottom of the tank totally covered in ADORABLE, teeny, tiny mud turtle footprints!!!! :) He'd been all over that tank during the night!!!
The tank he was raised had a bare glass bottom, which made it easier of the lady to clean after them. So this is his first experience with sand, and he seems to be LOVING it!!!! His favorite sleeping place is where he has dug himself a little nest under a low area of his "log."
CUTENESS EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! :):):):):)

View attachment 158193
He is absolutely gorgeous!! I love these photos of him!

TurtleyCustomDocks

Thanks for asking wellington! I provide custom to order acrylic basking docks to meet all size and applications. Here is a general post I made on here about my services. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/custom-built-acrylic-basking-dock.129225/#post-1210255
Here is another link to a recent customers dock I built on for a 70 gallon tank including a review from the customer. http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37579

I'm happy to field any questions you have and provide quotes/recommendations for your specific project. Please message me with any questions.

Ryan

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Congratulations! I LOVE the tank set up! Just perfect. And don't you worry, he'll come around. They're a fairly hardy species. He looks alert and healthy in the pics.
You were so right: after about a week, he has settled down a lot. He's still a little spooky, but often times he just hangs out at the front of his tank, watching us! He is SO CUTE!!! :)