This is disgraceful. IM SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!

yillt

On a commercial street in China, little tortoises are found packaged as souvenir!!! These little tortoises are still alive and swimming inside a herbal solution. The store owner says it can live for 1-3 months. 5 RMB a piece.

This is too cruel and unacceptable!!! God knows how many little lives were slowly suffocated to silent death; their fate sealed in a bag!!!

Has the commercial world no more other ideas to make money!!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402738568.313381.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, unfortunately, this has been going on for quite some time now. I believe I have seen this posted on here from the day I joined! Back in 2011. It is very sad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We've talked about this before on the Forum. It's nothing new, and isn't happening here in the U.S.

Please folks - no slamming or flaming other countries for their practices. I know it is distasteful to most of us, but it is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it. We don't want to offend our Chinese U.S., U.K. and Canadian members by slamming their country of origin. So please be cool.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is not cool at all but try to stay cool.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

I'm Chinese but I cannot understand nor agree this at all. Very sad.....

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Makes me very angry and it's very sad :( :(

yillt

We've talked about this before on the Forum. It's nothing new, and isn't happening here in the U.S.

Please folks - no slamming or flaming other countries for their practices. I know it is distasteful to most of us, but it is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it. We don't want to offend our Chinese U.S., U.K. and Canadian members by slamming their country of origin. So please be cool.
I don't blame China at all. There are millions of people in China who wouldn't do that. Especially not Bouaboua. I don't put it down to the country's I put it down to the people who do that. I live in the UK but I am disgraced at the people who do that in my country.In every country there are kind ,loving people and there are always the selfish people who want to be cruel and abuse animals.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I live in NY and if you go to Manhattan, you can find RES babies all over the streets. Five dollars will get you two babies and a little plastic tank. My friend just came home with two from Brooklyn. She has a pond and is planning to put them outside when they get older. I would say that 98% of the one's bought will eventually die. There are outdoor markets in NY and Brooklyn that sell large pond turtles for food. They are in some kind of plastic netting....still alive. I don't think nationality has much to do with it. I have a book with a picture that I can't get out of my head. About 50 Red foots all tied up on a pole over an open fire roasting. A few years back I went to a school thing, and they had turtle races. It must have been over 90 outside, and these poor little turtles were running for their life on the hot pavement. I used to be involved and quite radical about all of this, and thought I had all the answers, but now that I'm older I have no answer at all for all this misery.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
This pops up from time to time on the forum. Distasteful practice, but we do have many chinese members who love turtles, besides don't they sell DBT in new york for food still. I am against animal cruelty, if you are gonna kill, and or eat an animal. It should be done as humanely as possible, no need to torture an animal.

yillt

You all have great views and comments on this. I hope no one on the forum would EVER do this.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
You all have great views and comments on this. I hope no one on the forum would EVER do this.
If they're here on the forum, it's because they're looking for or sharing info for the best care of the animals. It is unlikely they would be purposefully cruel to one.