Is this normal?? New Owner needing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcqsusan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My little leopard friend who I bought yesterday was kind of out of sorts this morning. Or I think it was anyway...It's eyes were closed but looked like they were actually sealed over. Some of the time it was just breathing deeply as you'd expect in sleep. But even when it moved it's head out and around the eyes still didn't open. So I put it under the UV lamp for a couple of hours and when I went back to check it was fine again.

Is this normally what tortoises look like in sleep or should I be visiting the vet? I did contact the vet this morning but cancelled my appointment when I saw it was ok.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I don't have Leos but my Greek hatchlings open their eyes every morning, they are alert and do not have a crust or film over their eyes. If the UV lamp seemed to help see how it does in a day or two. If it is still doing it I would contact a Reptile vet that specializes in Torts. You could also try soaking it in tepid water to its chin. Could possibly be low humidity. Or the baby is cold. What are your habitat temps and what do you have as an enclosure?

mcqsusan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Marley said:
I am a newbie too and have been trying to learn how to take the best care of my tort. When we first brought him home he was very active, maybe inspecting his new spot. We have been experimenting with substrates to learn what he likes best. I have learned that when he starts to pace back and forth, something is bothering him, whether he doesn't like the food or I move things around. It is hard because they get stressed easily and there are so many different things online that contradict one another, everyone says different things. Mine went to the vet today because I had seen a bubble come out of his nose and he has been sleeping soo much and rubbing his eyes, looked like he was having a hard time opening them when he got up from sleep. So we brought him in today. They said he should be ok. Our temp wasn't warm enough and wasn't getting enough calcium and he has a respitory infection, poor little thing!! So we shall see how he does!! He is so tiny and this is my first one!!

Hey Marley

Sorry to hear you're little guy is sick. You're very right about all the contradictions. It's so confusing, but I've had some really good advice from other owners too. I played around with the heat in squirts enclosure and discovered that he had been too cold and once heated up he was a lot more active. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to discover this before he got sick. Best of luck with clearing up the infection and keep us informed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.