This Enclosure suitable for baby Herm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Stamos

5 Year Member
The attached pics show the current set up that the pet store that I got my baby Hermanns from told me would work best for the first couple of years. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I love my baby C.B. Hermann Tortoise!
(Shell-E) :)

Attachments

• 1375328247089.jpg
    1375328247089.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1375328296686.jpg
    1375328296686.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 1375328328838.jpg
    1375328328838.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 93

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about their humidity or temps. However, the water dish is not a good one. Many members have heard of torts drowning in those kind. Return it and get a clay saucer, the kind that goes under plant pots and bury it lever with the substrate.

John Stamos

5 Year Member
Wellington - Thanks for your advice! I'm definitely gonna be getting some terra cotta saucers soon for food and water dishes. For now however I'm just being very careful and not filling that water bowl up all the way so that there is no risk of drowning.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Please get rid of the bowl. The issue is not the depth of the water but the shape and height of the sides cause the torts to flip on their backs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You are off to a good start. You need:
1. More substrate.
2. Damp substrate.
3. A humid hid box.
4. As already stated and acknowledged, a new water bowl.
5. Sooner than you think, you will need a bigger enclosure.
6. A large safe secure outdoor enclosure for sunning and grazing.

Whats the temp under your heat lamp? Need any diet advice? Broadleaf weeds and certain leaves will be your answer.

John Stamos

5 Year Member
Will - I will definitely be getting rid of the water bowl that I have ASAP. He doesn't seem to go in it much anyways, but I don't want him flipping over while I'm not around.

Tom - Thanks for the detailed list of improvements that I need to make. I really am in need of some thermostats to help me monitor the temps in his tank. I am also for sure in need of a more moist substrate that will hold humidity better and allow the lil guy to burrow more easily. Would top soil be a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.