Eastern Hermann Hatchling Pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Stamos

5 Year Member
I paid $160 for an Eastern Hermann Hatchling at my local pet store. Do you think that is a fair price?

I love my baby C.B. Hermann Tortoise!
(Shell-E) :)

Attachments

• 1375484790503.jpg
    1375484790503.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 126

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
$160 is a little high for an eastern but with pet stores the mark up is always higher. $160 isn't terrible by any means it's just a little higher than the average $125 that most breeders will sell them for. Pricing varies from breeder to breeder and dealer to dealer but you'll almost always pay more at a pet store.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Locally, when you even get them, petshop prices are about $200 and up for a 4" Eastern Hermann's, and swapmeet prices seem to be around $150 these days.

Hatchling Hermann's are almost never are available at petstores, and only sometimes at swapmeets...big swapmeet in Arlington, TX. next weekend, and I'll see what hatchlings are going for then.

John Stamos

5 Year Member
Ohh wow...that sounds like a steal if they are actually Hermanns!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
John Stamos said:
Ohh wow...that sounds like a steal if they are actually Hermanns!

The local PetSmarts (Denton, Ft, Worth and Dallas) can only get Russians and occasionally Redfoots...at that price, I'd wonder if they weren't mislabeled Russians.

Shop carefully, Millerlite, and if you get a chance, take a pic and post it here before buying!

John Stamos

5 Year Member
Yea, that's what I thought...because the PetSmart by my house only sells adult Russians. No Hermanns.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
John Stamos said:
Yea, that's what I thought...because the PetSmart by my house only sells adult Russians. No Hermanns.

I've asked about ordering a couple more female Hermann's and the staffs at all the PetSmarts around here tell me Russians and occ. Redfoots is all they'll ever have,

Same with PetLand and PetCo...hopefully the big herp show this weekend (North American Reptile Breeders Conference - 1200 Ballpark Way, Arlington, Texas 76011) will have some.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
F3486701-D8B6-4024-A24C-BCC58F5D6C20-1480-0000015BF7DC514E_zpsd2214df8.jpg

Here they are, I never planned on buying them just saw them, they originally are 125 on sale right now. Seems like a good price

Kyle

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Millerlite said:
F3486701-D8B6-4024-A24C-BCC58F5D6C20-1480-0000015BF7DC514E_zpsd2214df8.jpg

Here they are, I never planned on buying them just saw them, they originally are 125 on sale right now. Seems like a good price

Kyle

Yeah, that's the real deal...wonder why the local PetSmarts can't get any?

Any idea if either one's female (short, stubby tail)?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I didn't look at them that close i plan to go back either this evening or tomorrow morning I can check,

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Millerlite said:
I didn't look at them that close i plan to go back either this evening or tomorrow morning I can check,

Take a pic, if you can...got some Frequent Flyer Miles left, so I may have to make a flight... :p

And thanks! :cool:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
BTW, the few baby Hermanni I saw last weekend at the NARBC get-together (about 5, in all) ranged from $135 to $149. Did see a few Marginateds @ $200, and a Golden Greek @ $175.

Sh*tloads of ball pythons, from normals @ $20 to some REALLY rare morphs at $100K (not jiving for a second! :rolleyes: )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are some nice looking hermanni. I love it when they have the black heads like that.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
It look like petsmart orders torts as testudo assorted not by species. I was at one near me and the tag was for a mix of Russians, Greeks, and Herman's and they had a Russian with a Greek. I asked if they could order Hermanns and they said they get what they get--no choice. I did mention to them that mixing species is not a good thing....but I doubt they'll do anything about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.