Thinking about a Russian Tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am considering getting a Russian Tortoise and wanted to know all of the pros and cons to it. I have owned everything from rats and birds to dogs and cats and even horses and other farm animals. I currently own two dogs, three cats, two birds, a guinea pig, fish, two hermit crabs and a horse. I am looking to add a new edition to our small menagerie, and am considering reptiles. I do suffer from asthma, so other small animals are out of the question. I have narrowed down my search to Bearded Dragons or Russian Tortoises. I would just like some more information on Russian Tortoises, and thought this was the place to be!

I will be researching the topic thoroughly, and probably will not even get one until my birthday in late November. I want to be as prepared as possible before bringing one home! I did discuss everything thoroughly with an employee at Petco yesterday, and she seemed to be very helpful. But I want to know as much as possible before making my decision! Can I please have the pros and cons of these little guys? Personal experience is always the best! Thank you so much!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Hi, welcome to TFO:). I have three Russian (steppe) tortoises, one Dalmation hermanns and my son has a bearded dragon. I don't really take care of the beardie, but I can tell you he's messy and smells, lol. He also eats live bugs, that's why I'm not his caregiver. He is awfully cool to watch though :)

Many people think with a tortoise you can just put them in a tank and throw in some lettuce and pellets, this is far from the truth. It takes a lot of work and effort to keep a happy and healthy tort. They require a lot of room, even smaller species like russians should have at least a 4 x 3 or similar square footage indoor enclosure. They also should have a similar sized outdoor enclosure for when the weather is warmer. Even if you live somewhere cold you can usually house the tort outside during the warmer months. The equipment to setup the enclosure can be a bit pricey. You will need uv lighting and a heat lamp of some sort, you can get mvb lamps that are kind of like an all in one, they can run around $50, and will need to be replaced on a schedule setup by the manufacturer. Tortoises also need a varied diet of weeds. This is easy to do, you can grow a lot of the stuff, you can also buy some grocery store greens. They also live for a long time! 50+ years is possible :)

Often a wild caught tortoise will have some sort of intestinal parasites that would require a vet visit and medication. If you do decide a tortoise will suit you,I suggest getting a captive bred tortoise, this does not guarantee good health, but chances are good you will get a healthy tortoise.

My tortoises are a lot of work, but I get a great deal of satisfaction from taking care of them. Kudos to you for doing research before committing. I find them fascinating to watch and am grateful to have them in my life.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the information! My biggest problem with beardies are the live bugs lol! I understand that the start up cost for either of them is very expensive, and will be making the purchases over several weeks leading up to actually getting one. I have read about store-bought torts having parasites, and I would try to get one from a breeder if I decide on getting one. I love the idea of them being able to enjoy the outdoors - too awesome! The biggest thing that is deterring me from one of these adorable guys is the fact that they do live so long; I want to be sure I will be able to provide the care they need for so many years to come. I am very excited and will definitely be checking out this forum in the weeks to come on a regular basis!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I can't deal with the live bugs at all for the beardie :) I love my little tortoises though :) Good luck with whatever companion you choose!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I second everything Laurie says; very nice summary.

Russians are curious, fearless and active (when the temps are right). 1 have 4 of them (note: they often don't live in harmony, so if you ever thought about more than one, be careful, you may need more than one enclosure. however, sounds like you are interested in a single tort!).

Look at Hermann torts too. Similar size range and care needs. There are several lively threads on this forum comparing the two (everyone has a strong opinion, lol).

Several CB breeders who are members: Tortoise Supply, Arizona Tortoise compound. Supply varies.
Also check the 'for sale' section of this forum.
Raising a hatchling doesn't require different conditions, but could be more difficult due to their small and more vulnerable size. Raising an adult is just as rewarding.

Also check Craigslist frequently. You can adopt a tortoise that needs a home, sometimes from conditions that are less than ideal. My two larger females are an example of this, and are doing extremely well now.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Thank you for the information! I will definitely compare the two torts and see which one I would like. I will keep everyone updated! :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I have asthma too and I highly recommend a Russian tortoise. I love my Russian and she is beautiful! Pros: great pet in anyway, Cons: I guess the only Con a can think of is that you HAVE to be committed to them. My mom let me get tortoise's because I'm allergic to a lot of animals, but tortoises are one of the non allergenic pets that I can have! :D

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
I completely understand how frustrating asthma is! I have always loved animals, and have therefore suffered my way through all of my small animals and birds. But my asthma is just too bad now to have a small animal or bird in my room, and my mom agreed on a reptile! I am very excited about this new adventure. But like I said above, my biggest con is the fact that they live so long. I am very committed to my horses and will be continuing a career in them, and I want to make sure that my busy schedule will allow a Russian Tortoise. I will keep everyone updated!

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
I'd say the best thing about having a tortoise is watching it in the outdoor enclosure. They do take a lot of your time and can be super stubborn, though. It is also fun to watch them eat!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Cons for russians? none
Pros? they stay small, they have big personalities, they don't eat bugs, they are awesome.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
I have a Greek Tortoise which in regards to size grow about to be about the same as Russian Tortoises. He is very personable, and personally I find Greeks and Hermann Tortoises more handsome than the average Russian. Obviously research as much as you can before you get one, good luck :)

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the info! I am ready to devote as much time as a tortoise needs, I am home much of the day. A definite pro: no live food!!! The only thing holding me back now is the fact that they do live so long; I am looking at a pet that will potentially live until I am into my 70's! It is a huge commitment and I am making sure that I am ready for that. I have always found them absolutely adorable, and I am very excited! As for being stubborn... working with horses and donkeys has definitely taught me patience lol!

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
If we are suggesting sources, I got my first female from The Turtle Source.

Had her 3 years now she was super healthy and awesome.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ChipBarGirl said:
Thanks so much for the info! I am ready to devote as much time as a tortoise needs, I am home much of the day. A definite pro: no live food!!! The only thing holding me back now is the fact that they do live so long; I am looking at a pet that will potentially live until I am into my 70's! It is a huge commitment and I am making sure that I am ready for that. I have always found them absolutely adorable, and I am very excited! As for being stubborn... working with horses and donkeys has definitely taught me patience lol!

Well Russian's only live to about 50+ so how old are you? Well if your 20 that works out! :D LOL :p

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
I was just about to ask about sources lol I will definitely check that out! And I'm 19 right now, soon to be 20, so I'm looking at my tortoise going into my 70's! :D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ChipBarGirl said:
I was just about to ask about sources lol I will definitely check that out! And I'm 19 right now, soon to be 20, so I'm looking at my tortoise going into my 70's! :D

Perfect! :D

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Haha I am very excited! Another question... I am very crafty and have designed my own enclosure. I read that a 40 gallon tank is too small for a russian, so I decided to make a bigger (and cheaper) enclosure. I am going to take two large rubbermaid containers and cut a hole in each one about 4 inches above the bottom. I'm going to get a large log hideaway and make a small platform to connect the two tubs. The bottom 4 inches will be filled with substrate - is that deep enough or too deep? Anyway, I have the room for the big enclosure and the bigger the better, right? Will I need to have two UVB and basking lights, one for each tub? I'm sorry if this isn't making sense, it makes sense in my head but after three concussion I cannot always convey what I'm thinking!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ChipBarGirl said:
Haha I am very excited! Another question... I am very crafty and have designed my own enclosure. I read that a 40 gallon tank is too small for a russian, so I decided to make a bigger (and cheaper) enclosure. I am going to take two large rubbermaid containers and cut a hole in each one about 4 inches above the bottom. I'm going to get a large log hideaway and make a small platform to connect the two tubs. The bottom 4 inches will be filled with substrate - is that deep enough or too deep? Anyway, I have the room for the big enclosure and the bigger the better, right? Will I need to have two UVB and basking lights, one for each tub? I'm sorry if this isn't making sense, it makes sense in my head but after three concussion I cannot always convey what I'm thinking!

3 concussion's?! Wow ok, well you will need heat and UVB on each side and Russian tend to dig a lot so maybe 3" deep.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Yeah, I work with horses and my last two concussions were in December and then March, the latter courtesy of my own gelding. Anyway, would 3 inches be better or 4? Is there such a thing as too deep?

Status
Not open for further replies.