About Food

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
Okay, I am aware the basic diet for these little guys is leaves. What about spinach? I have read pros and cons so want to get this forum's opinion.
While I'm here; there are times that greens are not readily available in every climate so I would also like opinions on: peas, carrots, broccoli and tomatoes.
Thank you

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Okay, I am aware the basic diet for these little guys is leaves. What about spinach? I have read pros and cons so want to get this forum's opinion.
While I'm here; there are times that greens are not readily available in every climate so I would also like opinions on: peas, carrots, broccoli and tomatoes.
Thank you

No spinach, peas, broccoli, and tomatoes. Carrots very sparingly in small amounts as in once every other week or so.

Russians should stick to diet of broad leaf weeds, flowers, and succulents. Very little to no store bought greens because of the goitrogens and oxalic acid is present in many commonly sold greens. Eating too much of that stuff can cause gout like symptoms in tortoises.

You can buy dried flowers, dried weeds, cuttings of succulents, and even various tortoise friendly seed mixes to grow your own supply. You can also use Mazuri tortoise diet (5M21 the original big pellets) as a supplemental food in order to add more nutrition to a tortoise's diet.