thinking about a leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvergsx

5 Year Member
Seems for the price range about all I can afford is a baby. How touchy are they? Would really like to pick up one or two of these. LMK your tips or pros and cons of getting a young one.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I love leopards but I'm biased! All baby tortoises are cute but in my opinion leopards have the prettiest shells, however leopards are quite shy compared to other tortoises which could be a con but I've only ever had a leopard so I don't have anything to compare them to. As long as you can provide the right habitat for your baby they are lovely tortoises to watch grow up.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
silvergsx said:
Seems for the price range about all I can afford is a baby. How touchy are they? Would really like to pick up one or two of these. LMK your tips or pros and cons of getting a young one.

Pros: They don't dig, people say you can keep several together without problems, good size for me (not too small and not a giant), easy to feed.

Cons: They seem more prone to pyramiding (but this is being worked), not as outgoing as some of the other tortoises. Hatchlings seem a bit fragile.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
The two previous comments are right on target. They are good torts, have good personalities but it takes a while to build a relationship with them and they don't interact with strangers well, not like sulcatas. A plus for mine is they don't dig, so no problems with them digging holes and escaping. Not sure if I'm just lucky or if this is a leopard trait.

Like all babies, the first year is difficult for survival for some. I got all mine when they were at least 2 years old so I never had to deal with the baby issues. They definitely get a personality and are fun to interact with once you get the relationship going.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for! :)

Napa Valley Tortoise

5 Year Member
I love my Fred. And even though I have a nice habitat, good humidity, eats mostly grass, he is pyramiding and I can't stop it. He started pyramiding his first year. I've had him since he was 9 months old. He was very shy as a baby, but Fred is 4 years old now and no longer afraid of me or my corgi or my cat. In fact he really likes my Corgi. He loves exploring in my back yard or in my house. Mulberry leaves are his favorite. I just took him camping and he was very low maintenace. There is nothing better than a tortoise looking straight into your eyes. It's like having a very wise friend.

silvergsx

5 Year Member
with suggestions where would be the right place online to order one?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have seen a few ads right here on the forum, so check that list. Give us your city and maybe there is a breeder close to you. I found mine through local breeders so I was able to see them, check out the living conditions and actually see the parents also. I know there are members on here who have purchased them through the mail, so heopfully some of them help you out. You can also look on Kingsnake for ads - Kingsnake Tortoises

Good luck! :)

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
silvergsx said:
with suggestions where would be the right place online to order one?

If I were doing it over I'd try Richard Fife at Ivorytortoise.com. He's raising them in a manner to prevent pyramiding. The correct right start many help a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Icki is right. The first few weeks are CRITICAL and the Fife's have been doing it right for years. Unfortunately, most breeders and brokers are still keeping them too dry. I'd want to know how humid they were kept and whether or not they had access to a humid hide box for their first few weeks. I would not buy one that was kept dry, even if it still looks half way decent.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I apologize for this slight hi-jack, but I wanted to send a Welcome to Napa Valley Tortoise. We're glad to have you here on the forum, and would love to see your leopard tortoise (mine is badly pyramided too...my fault!)

Status
Not open for further replies.