The new mazuri diet

dds7155

5 Year Member
I called mazuri , and the customer service lady didn't know the different, the first ingredient is timothy hay in the new one , I was told that someone dropped the ball by not informing the customer service the different ,so it's brand new , one Great thing is the shipping is now only 4.95 for 25lb. bag which is cool for people that cant find a feed store to order it ,,

dds7155

5 Year Member
it is on their website ,, the 4.95 shipping is for any 25 lb bag

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The shipping might be cheap, but the product costs twice as much as the old diet. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'm going to mark down the product # and ask my feed store if they can order it for me.

the new stuff:

Ingredients
Timothy hay, ground soybean hulls, dried beet pulp, wheat middlings, oat hulls, dehulled soybean meal, cane molasses,
wheat germ, apple pomace, ground oats, flaxseed, ground aspen, carrageenan, ground brown rice, dicalcium phosphate,
soybean oil, banana flavor, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, salt, l-lysine, dl-methionine, choline chloride,
pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (natural source of vitamin E), biotin, dried yucca shidigera extract,
cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), beta-carotene, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), calcium
pantothenate, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, sucrose, fructose, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement,
niacin, Primalac (Lactobacillus cultures: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifido bacterium bifidum,
Streptococcus faecium, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, torula dried yeast), copper sulfate, mixed
tocopherols (a natural preservative; citric acid, ascorbic acid, rosemary extract, lecithin) manganous oxide, zinc oxide,
ferrous carbonate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate.

The old stuff:

Ground Soybean Hulls, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Wheat Middlings, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Wheat Germ, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholecalciferol, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Nicotinic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Natural Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative), Ferrous Carbonate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Lecithin, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Kameo37 said:
Ok, why did they add carageenan? It's something I avoid injesting myself. Read this and check out the part where it caused all sorts of problems for lab animals. Eek.
http://m.prevention.com/food/health...n-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet

And sucrose and fructose? Sweeteners that were not in there before. I think that's enough. I won't be buying this.

That's interesting. Do you know if any of the seaweeds that people eat whole, are they the red seaweed that carageenan comes from? I would easily believe that a specific molecule from seaweed would impact you different than eating the seaweed itself, but I am curious what you may have already sorted out regarding this additive. It is also harvested from Kelp, here along the California coast.

I posted this some time ago, and overlooked the added sugar. That does not bode well for my interest to use it.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-79683.html

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Timothy hay as primary ingredient is much better and I do like the probiotics. Yucca good. Soybean hulls and grains, bleh. Ground aspen? What? A tree? Okay. Some good, some bad. Wow, this is like a whole new thing. Banana flavor? What flavor is the "old" one. I never thought to taste it. I might. Report back later. I said, might. : 0

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Wow, it is more expensive!

If any of you all try the new product, let us know how it seems to be!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Still, it is less expensive than Zoomed's Grassland Tortoise Food. Not sure if it is better or worse for my tortoise. I will continue to use Mazuri as long as I can get the original formula. Hopeefully that will for be years.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow. Those are horse feed ingredients!
What company manufactures this?
I have only just bought a 1 lb bag since joining this forum. And no ingredients list. Never thought to check out the site. I bought the 1lb months back and still have at least half. I only have 3 juvi torts. And I am lucky to remembet to use it once a week.
I have found it helpful in mixing my weed clippings so the torts will eat them.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
AnnV said:
Wow. Those are horse feed ingredients!
What company manufactures this?
I have only just bought a 1 lb bag since joining this forum. And no ingredients list. Never thought to check out the site. I bought the 1lb months back and still have at least half. I only have 3 juvi torts. And I am lucky to remembet to use it once a week.
I have found it helpful in mixing my weed clippings so the torts will eat them.

I believe it is produced by Purina which is now owned by Land-O-Lakes. Here is a link to one article that I found on the web.
http://www.makc.com/maz.htm

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Was able to order a bag of the new formula, it should be in the store on Nov 8, and I will pick it up on the 12th. I didn't get a price, but the old formula cost me $30. so it should be in the 40 to 45 dollar range, time will tell if it is worth it.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh goody. Tell us what you think. Looks like it's a whole new thing altogether . And I guess the cambium of aspen tree is edible. Most all have Vitamin C, some varieties were used to make flour. Wonder what aspen they used? Sorry, that intrigued me.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I tried the new formula last spring and my 2 Sulcatas liked it as much as the old formula. I got to try it when it was experimental. I had trouble with a 25lb bag that I bought from my local feed store and contacted Mazuri about it. They offered to give me a 25lb bag of the new formula to try and let them know what I thought about it. I told them I really liked it because Timothy hay was the first ingredient and it smells like hay. I have ordered another bag and it should be here in a few days.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Mazuri must have read (here?) about all the keepers that use their product and mix it with Grassland and then decided to combine the Grassland elements in, namely timothy hay and probiotics. Me thinks.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have the new product listed for sale in the "for sale" sub-forum. If you have any questions regarding the product let me know and I will answer the best that I can.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Will this new mazuri be the same as zoo med grassland? As we can't get mazuri in the uk, I'm hopefully picking up some zoomed grassland tomorrow, if I do I'll post the ingredients info to compare?