Is the new Mazuri LS worth it?

ben awes

5 Year Member
Whats the current thinking? I just ordered two bags of the Mazuri LS. I've been happy with the old stuff - is the new stuff worth the extra $12 per 25lb bag? Since I am now raising an aldabra I don't want to skimp on his food - but if it is not actually an improvement, then why spend the extra $$.

Thoughts? I'm no nutritionist, so I rely on all of you to tell me what to do!

Thanks,
Ben

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't think anyone's knows yet. The new stuff is just hitting the market.

The old stuff is not impressive on paper, but everyone has had great results with it.

The new stuff looks better on paper, but it will be many years before we can really compare the results.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am far from being a nutritionist also, I have had no problem getting the smaller tortoises to eat the new formula, Walker (adult sulcata) is not a big fan though, I believe he would eat more if the pellets were larger, when he eats the old formula, it's one pellet at a time by picking it up with his tung. time will show the benefits, if any.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does anyone know if the old stuff will always be available, or are they going to phase it out?

ben awes

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't think anyone's knows yet. The new stuff is just hitting the market.

The old stuff is not impressive on paper, but everyone has had great results with it.

The new stuff looks better on paper, but it will be many years before we can really compare the results.

So far, that's what I have read too - that its better on paper. At this point, I guess that's good enough for me. I don't know that I would be able to tell either way as I simply don't, and will likely never, have a broad enough sample set to know. I'm not too worried about my torts taking to it or not. I very much practice tuff love - if that's all there is to eat, eventually they will eat it! Unlikely they will starve themselves ;) (I hope).

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
So far, all of my tortoises are eating it with gusto. The color is a little darker but otherwise looks the same. They get it once a week alternating with Marion Zoological and a variety of greens , grassland diet regularly.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
In a quick preliminary look, the new LS Mazuri has the Timothy hay as primary ingredient now, good, versus the original formula's soy bean hulls being primary ... and probiotics have been added, very good. The weird one for me was the aspen. A tree? Then I read that some aspen tree bark is edible and has vitamin C.

I have been mixing Mazuri with Grassland for my babies and I think that this new Mazuri tortoise formula has integrated some of the Grassland ingredients in (hay and probiotics, for example). It kinda looks like a refined Grassland pellet. Everyone that is using it that I know, likes it, thus far. I, too, wondered if there would be both to choose from or if they are going to phase one out. We shall see.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
I'm using the zoomed grassland, very good product!!