The danger of birds...? (UK)

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
My tortoise toddler is about 9 months old now (Hermanns) so he isn't as small as a hatchling but is still pretty small.
Obviously his parents are quite big so they are free to run around and explore in the garden.
With regards to George, is there a risk of birds snatching him from running around
I don't want to be a bad owner or risk his life etc, but I want him to be able to explore in a more natural environment , climb and eat to his hearts delight. I have a busy life, like most so I would like to get things done e.g revision or tidying up etc. whilst he is playing outside.
When i've sat outside with him for hours, no birds have ever shown interest or come into the garden.
Would it be safe to leave him outside when I am not there?
(there are not any other dangers e.g ponds, dogs, it is just the birds that are the concern)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I guess he is still too small to let him run in the whole garden anyway, so can't you build him a small enclosure? With a lid of hardware cloth you can leave him outside at day and night, safe from birds, cats, martens,...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would be careful of seagulls as they are often in towns as well on the coast these days. There was a story in one of the papers about seagulls killing a Chihuahua the other day. They may think he's lunch.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Birds can be a problem when they are small. For my small leopards, I built a small enclosure, 6X6, with a lid. It is still difficult to find them in there when the grass and plants all grow tall. I would worry as much about losing him as birds.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When you are in the garden with him, some of the birds will not approach.
But go away and you may have herons, birds of prey or even crows having a go, not to speak of cats.
An enclosure would be safer.

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
England
Okay great. Thanks everyone. Think I will make him a nice big enclosure after my exams and get hold of some netting!