Tortoises and streams and birds...

idcowden

Location (City and/or State)
Walton-on-Thames
HI all,

We have two spur-thigh tortoises which are now about a year old. At the moment they have an indoor tortoise table and an outdoor one with a mesh lid so that they can catch some rays (i'm in Surrey, UK so sunshine is limited but does happen!).
Our garden has two small ponds (about 2ft deep) joined by a 5m winding stream which is about 15-30cm deep (it varies in depth).

So... what are a tortoises natural instincts regarding streams, and how dangerous is the stream to them? I'm assuming as they are very small at the moment, it rates as fairly dangerous, but once they are of a size to live outside more it should be less problematic.
Secondly, I am considering diverting part of the waterfall to make a small shallow stream in their enclosure so that they have permanent access to drinking water if they want it. The ponds have a few goldfish in so the water should be fairly drinkable (i.e. it isn't stagnant), does that seem like a good idea?

Finally, we have quite a few wood-pigeons and magpies that visit the garden (due to the stream) and very occasionally a heron. How dangerous are they to tortoises and should the torts always be enclosed unless there is someone in the garden? Is there a point where they will be of a size that birds are no longer an issue?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First and foremost, tortoises should never live in pairs. They need to be separated ASAP. Even if you are not seeing overt attacks, it is a bad deal and very stressful for both of them. Injury is likely, as is illness from the chronic stress.

To your drowning question, I know of no one that has housed them this way. You are in uncharted territory. I don't think anyone here has the experience to tell you that it is safe or not. I might try it only when I can be there to direction watch them, but any other time, I would not let them have access to the stream or ponds.

I would think a heron might take a shot even at an adult greek tortoise and that bill can do some serious damage. I'd keep them covered, or put netting up to keep the wild birds out.