Free roam of garden in uk

Joetheyido

Location (City and/or State)
UK London
Hello people, I have 2 Herman's that I want to put outside and have free roam of the garden once I put new fences up. There will be no way out but I'm Wondering about what others think, I think the main ones would be foxes. Cats round here seem to be scared of the torts and not sure about birds, sparrow hawk is the biggest I have seen and I haven't seen them often, we get kites but not around houses. They will be in at night and weigh 1.2kg
Cheers

Dragonflii

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello people, I have 2 Herman's that I want to put outside and have free roam of the garden once I put new fences up. There will be no way out but I'm Wondering about what others think, I think the main ones would be foxes. Cats round here seem to be scared of the torts and not sure about birds, sparrow hawk is the biggest I have seen and I haven't seen them often, we get kites but not around houses. They will be in at night and weigh 1.2kg
Cheers
We live on the South coast not far from London.
I have 2 very old Mediterranean female tortoises who have always lived freely in the garden. They have done this for almost 60 years with no mishaps.
They have their own (specially made for tortoises) house out near the greenhouse, it is raised from the floor so they enter by a ramp ‘drawbridge’ that is closed and fastened when they return to it after their daily adventures. The garden is large and entirely enclosed, we don’t even have a back entrance.
When they go into hibernation we put them up in the garage loft for safety.
My tortoises adore each other, they cuddle up, rub each others noses and if one can’t see the other it will search it out. They park next to each other as close as they can while getting their share of any sunshine.
I have never had to worry about them, but we do have to watch them on hot days because we have raised brick wall borders and one in particular thinks she is adept at climbing, she isn’t so we need to turn her back over when she falls over. Other than that they are going great guns and I couldn’t imagine curtailing their activities.