Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
25uilo7.jpg

Finally got my new sulcata book. It is full of great info on every aspect of the sulcata. I'm only half way through it, but I have already learned a ton. There are some really great pics in there too. Its written in French AND English. Both languages are on each page.

Did you know a sulcata burrow can be up to 15 meters in VERTICAL depth. Not length, depth. The book goes into specifics on the range in the various countries and the plight of the wild ones in each of these countries. It lists many of the native plants and trees too.

Okay. Enough talk. I've got to go finish the book...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got mine from Tomas at the African Chelonian Institute. The book is $20 and shipping is $10. It is not easy to get them over here, so if someone finds a source for the book here in the states please post it for us.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Nope, dang. I can't find it anywhere...it's referenced in several places as suggested reading but no one seems to actually have it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Redstrike said:
15 vertical foot burrow, wholly crap!!!

DITTO, oops, there goes my whole house down the sink hole. Thankfully I have a leopard:D

The following is what I could find.

(Before I go any farther, I want to say that anyone who has a sulcata tortoise should obtain the book by Bernard Devaux titled The Crying Tortoise. There are other books on the subject, but in my opinion Bernard Devaux’s book is the best. The book is currently out of print. Contact the author for availability information. His email address is: [email protected])

Below is the site I found the above info on. Don't know how current but you could try sending an email

http://ojaisulcataproject.org/diet.html

Hope this works. Let's us know either way.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, looks excellent. Are the tortoises "crying" because their eyes water to expel debris ... or because they are endangered in their home countries? Or both?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I posted on my thread info on getting the book, if interested. My post is I emailed the author-the crying tortoise.

Also, Tom, I would love to have you post a list of the native plants. I have tried several different ways to find a list of them and really didn't come up with anything.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm not mistaken, that's a pretty old book. I think its been around since the '80s. However, it was in French and never in English. Nice to see that you can now get a copy with the English translation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
If I'm not mistaken, that's a pretty old book. I think its been around since the '80s. However, it was in French and never in English. Nice to see that you can now get a copy with the English translation.

It's says right on the cover June, 2000.

In the text it talks about studies and new info from '97 and '98.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm working out a deal to buy 20 books and redistribute them. The cost should be around $30, including shipping. I will not be making any money on the deal just doing this as a favor. Its a good book with lots of good info in it.

It is out of print and Tomas has around 50 copies left.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
I'm working out a deal to buy 20 books and redistribute them. The cost should be around $30, including shipping. I will not be making any money on the deal just doing this as a favor. Its a good book with lots of good info in it.

It is out of print and Tomas has around 50 copies left.

Great job. Cheaper than buying from the author.:D

EKLC

5 Year Member
You can put me down for a copy too Tom. Should we get a list going?

Status
Not open for further replies.