"The Crying Tortoise"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
RE: The Crying Tortoise

I enjoy my copy often! I was looking for it the other day and Cathie found it laying by the fireplace. So Tom, you say someone is looking to publish a second volume to this or re publish this with new info? I'm all for a second volume!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

Tom said:
sibi said:
Thanks for setting the matter straight. So, I want to go back to the matter of sulcatas not being geographically isolated, can there be any geographically distinct varieties left? I would like to read this book so that I may see for myself what theory the author gives to make his conclusion.

This thread is making me want to re-read my copy again. I swear I'm going t wear it out with my eyes...

It has been out of print for ten years or so. Finding a copy might be a challenge. I doubt there is an e-version. It's actually a French book, but with an English translation included. Kind of odd. Never seen it done this way. A new book is othe way. As of Novemebr of 2012 a publisher was being sought. The new book will included burrow temps and humidity. More on the habits, range, and behavior in the new book. I've already told Tomas to send the first 100 copies to me for distribution among the forum.

I don't recall what the book says about geographically distinct populations, but my info comes from my friend Tomas Diagne who founded the African Chelonian Institute in Senegal. I know of no single human being on the planet that knows more about wild sulcatas than he. According to him there are at least three distinct "types" of sulcatas throughout their enormous range that looks like a horizontal belt across the middle of the entire continent of Africa. The three types are easy to distinguish from each other visually, at least as adults.

And, it was Tomas that concurred that there are (at least) three subspecies of sulcata. I know, because I asked him directly...with Tom and Dave Friend standing right there! I doubt anything was lost in translation...and he was very excited about this direction our conversation turned...as I'm sure he never expected to hear the subject come up...at least, not stateside!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

It is an entirely new book from Tomas that I'm talking about. He been outfitting re-released wild tortoises with radio transmitters and all sort of stuff for years. He had tons of data to organize and summarize, but he told me and Neal in November over lunch at the TTPG that its getting closer to being done. I will be letting everyone know when the new book comes in, or if I get any word on it. Should be some great info in there!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn

Tom said:
It is an entirely new book from Tomas that I'm talking about. He been outfitting re-released wild tortoises with radio transmitters and all sort of stuff for years. He had tons of data to organize and summarize, but he told me and Neal in November over lunch at the TTPG that its getting closer to being done. I will be letting everyone know when the new book comes in, or if I get any word on it. Should be some great info in there!

EXCELLENT!:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

The book used to be readily available in French, but very hard to find in English.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Wonderful. Now, I want to know more about the three subspecies of sulcatas.

Zamric, how did you get your copy of this book, if you don't mind my asking?

Zamric said:
I enjoy my copy often! I was looking for it the other day and Cathie found it laying by the fireplace. So Tom, you say someone is looking to publish a second volume to this or re publish this with new info? I'm all for a second volume!

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Searched eBay France and amazon France and could not find copies either. Tom I would love to reserve a copy when you get them.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn

sibi said:

Zamric said:

I got mine directly from Tomas. He had a small stock pile he was selling last year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

emysemys said:
The book used to be readily available in French, but very hard to find in English.

Each copy has French on one side of each page and English on the other. Have you seen French only versions?

sibi said:

Zamric said:

There are no recognized subspecies as of right now. Some people feel there ought to be, but there aren't any yet. There are at least three geographically distinct "types", but the are just regionally different looking versions of the same species.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
RE: "The Crying Tortoise"

Tom, I would love a copy of this book when they become available... Thanks :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I loaned my copy to the folks we gave Rocky to..... They where completly captivated by the book and currently have their son looking for a copy at all the used book stores he likes to frequent in the Greater Dallas Metroplex. He's a Book Collector and spends alot of time combing thru used book stores for lost Masters and other collectable books. (I understand he is VERY good at finding those books too!)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Zamric said:
I loaned my copy to the folks we gave Rocky to..... They where completly captivated by the book and currently have their son looking for a copy at all the used book stores he likes to frequent in the Greater Dallas Metroplex. He's a Book Collector and spends alot of time combing thru used book stores for lost Masters and other collectable books. (I understand he is VERY good at finding those books too!)

I'll pay him double what his book cost is for a copy of "40 years with tortoises" by Kay Booth. I think I got that reference correct. Mine has been lost somewhere, it's a cool read with much valuable info in and among the anecdotes.

Will

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Will said:
Zamric said:

I'll pay him double what his book cost is for a copy of "40 years with tortoises" by Kay Booth. I think I got that reference correct. Mine has been lost somewhere, it's a cool read with much valuable info in and among the anecdotes.

Will

I'll let him know the name and see what he can find!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Will said:
Zamric said:

Will

Next time you come to clovis you can have my copy.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Zamric said:

Can you have him look for one for me?

Life is good

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Chainsawkitten said:
Zamric said:

Life is good

The Crying Tortoise?I'll see what I can do.... so far he has found nothing and the 1st copy he finds will go to his parents and the second copy will be his. He decided to raise a hatchling after his parents got Rocky (12 years old and currently 75lbs)[/b][/i]

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Zamric said:
Chainsawkitten said:
Zamric said:

Life is good

The Crying Tortoise?I'll see what I can do.... so far he has found nothing and the 1st copy he finds will go to his parents and the second copy will be his. He decided to raise a hatchling after his parents got Rocky (12 years old and currently 75lbs)[/b][/i]

Ok :) thanks

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.