The Blossom Thread.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I'm really shocked as well, 1.5 weeks, and only eating grass...

I give greens and weeds to my aldabra and he's not growing that fast as yours.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:

* Just a note, our large adults show distinctive new growth during the rainy season when the grass is plentiful and most nutritional. We rarely see new growth during the winter months when they are supplemented!

tortadise said:
Keep in mind that pen though was seeded with 8 species of Bermuda.

* Fantastic! (Pictures please)

tortadise said:
Lots of sun moisture and all the fresh grass she can handle.

* Aldabra heaven!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
Yellow Turtle said:

* Just a note, our large adults show distinctive new growth during the rainy season when the grass is plentiful and most nutritional. We rarely see new growth during the winter months when they are supplemented!

tortadise said:
Keep in mind that pen though was seeded with 8 species of Bermuda.

* Fantastic! (Pictures please)

tortadise said:
Lots of sun moisture and all the fresh grass she can handle.

* Aldabra heaven!

Here we go. No weeds in site. Not too certain which species of Burmuda are still present in this enclosure. I seeded it 8 years ago. Retilled and seeded again 4 years ago. I used, buffalo, couch, common, Giant, and Texas tough bermuda. I also tried some zoigia grass. A few others I dont remember. I just bought a bunch of seeds mixed them together and seeded everything with it. Its very lush and plentiful. No weeds at all, which I kinda wish their were some at least.

Blossom Loves it for sure.

Her pond she gets in from time to time. Has plants in it. So I believe this is a good natural water source with enriched plant bi-product.

She also dug up around this Yucca plant. Its pretty cool. Its just deep enough for her to nestle in. She can be found here during the hottest parts of the day and seeks shelter from the large leaves of the Yucca. There are two yucca plants in this enclosure both she has excavated for shelter. But chose this plant due to its larger size than the other. Smart animals they are.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Its very lush and plentiful // Blossom Loves it for sure.

* Looks fantastic!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks Greg. I found it interesting about the Yucca. Have you ever seen any of the little guys do this around plants?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
Thanks Greg. I found it interesting about the Yucca. Have you ever seen any of the little guys do this around plants?

* Ours prefer live plants for shade/shelter also. They dig in near the base, especially the smaller ones!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
tortadise said:
man oh man she sky rocketed in length just over a weeks time. Growing smooth as can be too.

* WOW, that is fast!

tortadise said:
Will post new pics soon.

* Questions, (1) are her new growth lines bright white or grayish? (2) and are they thin or wide?

Greg here is a photo of how the growth spurts start. Day one it looks like this. Very thin whitish gray line.

Then after a few days it will broaden and turn more gray.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
Greg here is a photo of how the growth spurts start. Day one it looks like this. Very thin whitish gray line.

Then after a few days it will broaden and turn more gray.

* Looks great!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
August 27th 2013 Stats
Age-Approximately 5-6 months old
DOB-4-5-13 or so of guess
Purchase date-6-26-2013
Size upon receiving-4 1/8" Size today 5 1/4"
Weight-523 grams
Origin-Mauritius, Africa
Seller-Sam Pascucci(Florida Iguana)

The last measurement was done all wrong. My mom used the tape incorrectly. So yeah she did NOT grow over an 1" in a week. haha. She is still growing like a weed. But nice and slow smooth growth. Which is my goal for the little bugger.

Here she is running away from being picked up.

Nice and smooth still with good growth lines.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I love reading about Blossom and seeing her pictures!

Ann from CT

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
She does love the little reeds in her pond. Its her shelter during the day when she decides not to hang out under her yucca. She is still at the stage of "run, run as fast as I can away" someone is looking at me. Ha. I remember talking with you Greg about noticing different personalities of the sexes when they are little. Could you elaborate a little more on that? Like are females noticeably more reserved and the males are more outgoing and spastic like at this age/size?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
She is still at the stage of "run, run as fast as I can away" someone is looking at me. Ha. I remember talking with you Greg about noticing different personalities of the sexes when they are little. Could you elaborate a little more on that? Like are females noticeably more reserved and the males are more outgoing and spastic like at this age/size?

* That is a real complex question, lol! Actually we think that the younger females actually display more reserved and skittish behaviors and males seem way more confident and less skittish. The few that we have held back or from actual customer testimonies this seems to be the most valid and observed patterns. Just as a note, the one we have that is close to the same size as yours displays a bold, non skittish, and has a high confidence and is already extremely trusting leading us to believe he is a male.

2edwk15.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well its been a while since updated. Blossom has been moved into the greenhouse for winter time. Shell is still miraculously smooth. She is 855 grams now.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Blossom is a cool little tort, Your Blossom and Gregs TUFF just might have to meet up some years down the road