The Blossom Thread.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I was talking with Greg(Aldabraman) and he had a good idea. So I am going to try my best to do monthly and as often as I can updates on this little bubba. So here she(have no real clue as to what sex is).

June 27th 2013 Stats
Age-Approximately 2-3 months old
DOB-4-5-13 or so of guess
Purchase date-6-26-2013
Size upon receiving-4 1/8"
Weight-328 grams
Origin-Mauritius, Africa
Seller-Sam Pascucci(Florida Iguana)

July 9th 2013 Stats
Purchase date-6-26-2013
Size-4 5/16"
Weight-336 grams
Origin-Mauritius, Africa

And now the photos

Soaking it up

I say she because of the split scutes. But that is only a guess. Perhaps it will be a she. 3-4 and I will know better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's going to be pretty funny in 10 years or so when you refer to your 200lb male Aldabran tortoise as "Blossom"!!! :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha. Yes indeed. I forget how fast they grow. I contacted the guy that got my 2 11 years ago and they were almost 300 pounds. They do grow fast. Did you get bored and so when they were young Yvonne?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine hatched in 2000, so it's easy to remember how old they are. Right now the biggest one is 250lbs. The other one is about 180lbs. He's got health issues and is growing very slowly.

I'm never bored with my tortoises, but I got BO and SO (I'm assuming that's what you meant before the lovely autocorrect) when they were hatchlings.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yvonne G said:
Mine hatched in 2000, so it's easy to remember how old they are. Right now the biggest one is 250lbs. The other one is about 180lbs. He's got health issues and is growing very slowly.

I'm never bored with my tortoises, but I got BO and SO (I'm assuming that's what you meant before the lovely autocorrect) when they were hatchlings.

Oh my god. Haha. Yes I meant BO and SO. Not bored. Ha. I know nobody that gets bored with tortoises especially people like you and I, having so many. That is easy to remember blossom will be difficult. But I try my best to keep up with good record keeping. Time just flies so fast.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks Greg. I wish this little bugger was one of yours. But we will get that taken care of next hatching season :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
July 22nd 2013 Stats
Purchase date-6-26-2013
Size-5"
Weight-412 grams
Origin-Mauritius, Africa

Loves her calcium. Got it all over herself LOL.

Good growth lines. Hit a spurt.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Spoiled? Pssssshhh. If my mom could put a pink collar with diamonds on her I'm sure she would. lol. she hand picks big blades of grass and only the best cactus pads for her. Its hilarious how she baby talks to her too. Going to be funny when she ends up maybe being a male. Haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Haha, i can picture your mom. i bet she just bubbles over her. For now she does have a sweet girly face. With that and split scute, and some crossed fingers, shell be a female.:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
August 1st 2013 Stats
Purchase date-6-26-2013
Size-6.2"
Weight-453 grams
Origin-Mauritius, Africa

man oh man she sky rocketed in length just over a weeks time. Growing smooth as can be too. Will post new pics soon.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
man oh man she sky rocketed in length just over a weeks time. Growing smooth as can be too.

* WOW, that is fast!

tortadise said:
Will post new pics soon.

* Questions, (1) are her new growth lines bright white or grayish? (2) and are they thin or wide?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I'm really curious to see his new pictures and growth too. Surely you do a good job raising her.
Would you share, what kind of diet she is offered now?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
tortadise said:
man oh man she sky rocketed in length just over a weeks time. Growing smooth as can be too.

* WOW, that is fast!

tortadise said:
Will post new pics soon.

* Questions, (1) are her new growth lines bright white or grayish? (2) and are they thin or wide?

For about a day or 2 they are white, then they will recede to darker colors over about a weeks time, typicaaly getting slate colored to grey then they fade to dark grey. Initial growth line when white is very skinny but then once it recedes to darker color is broadens. I am really trying to not grow this specimen too fast. I see so many heavily stacked or pyramided aldabras that grow way too fast. If they are female and heavily pyramided. Successful copulation could be a difficult task to achieve years down the road. I want to take the method of slow, good, uniform, smooth natural growth. So far she gets 1-2 "Treats" a week. I go with cucumber or cactus for added hydration means more than treat means. Other than that no greens, no lettuce. Just bermuda grass in her enclosure.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. That's mostly their native diet on the islands. seed propagators is what their purpose is. Shelled cows is what I call them. lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So I understand correctly. Besides the occasional treat. She is only eating Bermuda grass, or is there also other weeds that is also growing with the grass?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. Keep in mind that pen though was seeded with 8 species of Bermuda. The occasional weed will pop up. But I haven't seen them eaten yet. Lots of sun moisture and all the fresh grass she can handle. I am shocked myself she grew almost and inch in a week and half.