Temporary Outdoor Enclosure

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Because of the possibility of having to move I have held off on making an outdoor enclosure for my three Russians. The last several days have been really nice here and I've felt guilty only giving them an hour or two of recess a day. I finally went ahead and made something for them to stay outside most of the day in. It is temporary. I dug completely around and buried bricks then lined the fence with bricks to prevent them from trying to push under the fence. I have a hide in there (I will add more soon) and an underground spot for them to cool off when need. I'm nowhere near done with it and I'm sure that just like their indoor enclosure I wont be able to leave it alone. There are no water or food spots yet. The pictures show it in its early stages. It is approximately 6'x30'. I have lots of logs and stuff in there to block the site so I'm hoping that I can keep all three in there without issue. If there's any I will put a divider and separate them. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

1429473016519.jpg 1429473029843.jpg 1429473042885.jpg 1429473054395.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you need a smooth wall all the way around to prevent climbing and to give them a visual barrier. I don't have any pics, but russians can climb right up chain link like its a ladder. An escape ladder. Plywood wired to the fence and screwed to the picket fence on the end would work and be easily removed in the event of a move.

The pics are all in the shade. How much sun does this area get?

Love the size and the underground hideout. This area has great potential.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I agree with Tom. You've made a very good start.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Thanks. I have some wood pieces I could put on the fence. It receives sun most of the day and it was sunny up until about 10 minutes before I took the pictures. It got really cloudy and is starting to rain. I am quite nervous about leaving them outside for any length of time still. There are bricks buried all the way around to prevent digging. I'll get the fence taken care of soon. I won't be leaving them out at night. Thanks for the input.