Tail wiggling (wagging)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I've noticed that Eloise wiggles her cute little tail...normally right after eating while on her way to bask or after a potty stop or when I put her back after a soak and the last 2 times I've stirred up her dirt....So I must wonder if all of these things make her happy and is the cute little wiggling or wagging tail a sign of her happiness?? I assume happy and wont offer the idea of her being upset because why would she be mad after eating??

Couple photos....Happy Snacking and catching a snooze...:p

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 150
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 119

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lol...those are cute pics. I dont know if we could. Say torts have emotions. But i know I've seen my sulcata wag her tail several times. It definatly is cute.. back and forth. I have read that. They do wag them as a sign of happiness...dunno....seems that way to me...

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Thank you I like taking photos and I like sharing so no shortage of shots from me. I hope she is a happy lil girl because I absolutley adore her!!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Only time I ever see my sully tail wagging is when he's making a poop. But I guess.... if pooping makes him happy.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I love tail wagging! I get so excited when my torts do.
That sleeping pic is just so cute!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Unfortunately, yet also cutely..Toby keeps her tail modestly tucked, shyly.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Bowser will usually keep his tail to one side. But if he does wiggle it for a little it usually means he is going to poo very soon...

arotester

5 Year Member
It Usually indicates preparing for bowel movement or signs like that are usually designed to be seen or heard by others in the group. :)

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I've not noticed any pooing after the tail wiggling...I waited a while to reply as I wanted to see if it was connected with Eloise but nothing...infact she seems to prefer not to poo in her enclosure at all...She will in her water dish or close to it but usually she waits for one of her weekly soaks. she's so considerate!! lol

EKLC

5 Year Member
I assume tortoises are always happy if healthy and well-cared for. Tail-wiggling is what makes us happy!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Eloise's mommy said:
I've not noticed any pooing after the tail wiggling...I waited a while to reply as I wanted to see if it was connected with Eloise but nothing...infact she seems to prefer not to poo in her enclosure at all...She will in her water dish or close to it but usually she waits for one of her weekly soaks. she's so considerate!! lol

You may not like to hear this .... You may fail to notice her poo because ... You had better sit down for this ...they eat it. I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but it is true they eat their own poo.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Eloise's mommy said:

You may not like to hear this .... You may fail to notice her poo because ... You had better sit down for this ...they eat it. I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but it is true they eat their own poo.

Ha ha So do dogs...Eloise's enclosure is kept pretty clean I think she prefers it that way she's always more active on the days that I tidy the place up...so I choose the pleasant thought that she doesn't like it in there over the not so appetizing idea that she may be eating it. lol

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Eloise's mommy said:
Ha ha So do dogs...Eloise's enclosure is kept pretty clean I think she prefers it that way she's always more active on the days that I tidy the place up...so I choose the pleasant thought that she doesn't like it in there over the not so appetizing idea that she may be eating it. lol

I have to be very watchful, because as soon as Tyrone poos he will turn around and try to eat it! Crazy little bugger! I am too a neat freak when it comes to his enclosure.

P.S. I think he eats it because it smells like Mazuri!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Eloise's mommy said:

I have to be very watchful, because as soon as Tyrone poos he will turn around and try to eat it! Crazy little bugger! I am too a neat freak when it comes to his enclosure.

Eloise doesn't get Mazuri so I don't have the worry but I suppose if it smells the same as when it went in then maybe Tyrone doesn't see the harm lol!!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Eloise said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Eloise's mommy said:

Eloise doesn't get Mazuri so I don't have the worry but I suppose if it smells the same as when it went in then maybe Tyrone doesn't see the harm lol!!

Maybe that's it! I just think it is gross!

Eloise said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Eloise's mommy said:

Eloise said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Eloise's mommy said:

Eloise said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Eloise's mommy said:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I hate to burst bubbles, but tail wagging for happiness is USUALLY a sign used by social animals to communicate. Tortoises are not social enough to do that, and besides- tortoises that are face to face cannot see each other's tails like a dog can.

Tortoises wag their tails prior to taking a poo as indicated (and it may help move the materials in the cloaca, etc.), but also when they are walking (like many animals with tails, the tail moves as the pelvis and hips move), stretching, basking, and so on.

I always take a wagging tail as a good sign of normal behavior- and it IS cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.