Does your tortoise's tail wag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello Everyone

Has anyone ever seen their tortoise's tail move from side to side like it is wagging? I've seen it, but very rare, when they are walking. Is it a happy sign, Frankie's has actually wagged at least once but mostly it is like they move it from one side to the other.

Does anyone know why or for what reason they do this - it is probably just so they are more comfortable but to 'wag' it - hummmmm

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
SOme will 'wag' before a bowel movement..
mine will wiggle thier entire body when i spray them with the hose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Laura on this one. They move their tail from side to side right before a bowel movement.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale wags his tail when he's out in his enclosure walking around. He'll be walking throught the grass and his tail will be investigating the area that he's walking on. That's what I've got from it. :D

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I once knew a RES tortie who would wag his tail when his owner took him out of his home & scratched his back; actually, he would wag his whole rear end, lol!

My personal experience has been the same as Laura & Yvonne; my leopards do such when they are defecating in the outdoor watering "pool".

You must have one happy tort on your hands, lol :D
Purpod

desertsss

5 Year Member
That is such a cute question. My torts wag their tale when they are just walkin around. They do tend to speed it up before #2 though. I think it loosens them up or something. lol:p

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Too funny, the first time I took my Sulcata out for a walk around the pool he was wagging his tail like a little puppy.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Tallula wags her tail, without a bowel movement :p I see it mostly after I take her out of the bath after a nice long warm soak, and she tends to want to run a marathon afterward! I just love the wagging tail :) When she needs to make a "number 1 or number 2", she actually kinda lifts her tail.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Charlie does when changing textures or after using his tail to give him an extra lift up.
LOL -- Charlie is very happy!!

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Guys - I thought I was going mad! Frankie wags without doing a #2, so I'm going with the 'I've got a happy tort on my hands'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.