Sullie hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
I know that sullies don't hibernate but I'm curious if anyone's does. Timmy has been acting very weird lately and I thought he was sick or getting sick. I think he was just a little dehydrated I brought him inside for two weeks of close obsevartion and extra heat but he just seems to always want to sleep. He does eat some but not very much and has had regular poops. All he cares about is drinking and sleeping.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
My other two which are basically the same size are still being normal, outside everyday and always hungry. He seems healthy no trouble breathing no nasal drainage he's just tired all the time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hmmm... How warm is he at night? This sometimes has a big effect on their behavior.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
He is now the largest of the three, until recently I had two more that were lots bigger. They eat grasses and romaine along with mazuri. It was about a month ago I noticed he stopped coming out of the hut so I gave him a soak and he drank like a fish and seemed to be having trouble breathing. I also saw alot of goo coming from his nose after the soak so I brought him inside and cranked up the heat. He showed improvement on breathing within days but remained lethargic. After about two weeks he was moving around more but still not eating so I took him back outside where he can graze. He still refuses to come out unless I get him from the but and even with a big pile of food he takes a few bites and then back into the hut. He will hang out in a pool of water sticking his head underwater gulping it down everyday for like an hour

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like he might have started to get a RI. They take a long time to fully recover from that. Probably not until summer with the daily hot temps. Maybe some dehydration complications too... I'd keep him really warm 24/7 for a while. Never below 80-85 and around 95-100 during the day. With those temps you'll need to soak him in warm water to make sure he stays hydrated too.

Where are you?

Timmytort

5 Year Member
What's an RI? I'm outside Phoenix AZ, he is peeing but since he drinks so much water it's really clear and has a slight green tint to it. No white goop just clear pee. I can't believe he could have gotten dehydrated I know it's been a very dry winter with very little rain but I still run my irrigation outside in his enclosure which creates puddles and he was eating lots until a month ago and he is about 9 inches and just over 3 years old.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is this the tortoise that you posted about before, the one that was not eating and he had mucus bubbles coming from his nose?

Probably should have given more info, Timmy is just over 3 years old and about 10 inches or so. He says outside with a the other torts here in Phoenix. It does get cool at night here in the winter but I have a tiki hut that goes underground for them all to hang out in. It currently had 2 150watt ceramic heat emitters running 24/7 Rey keep the ambient temp at around 65 on the coldest nights. Directly under the heaters I would say the temp is around 85 during the cold nights and warmer in the day. The ambient temp stays about 30 degrees above the outside temp which has only dipped into the 30's a few times and it usually gets at least 65 everyday outside and over 75 in the hut everyday. He is eating now that I have brought him inside and heated him up. He has some trouble breathing but seems to be doing better since I have him isolated and at about 95 degrees. He has always had some wheezing even when it was a steady 110 plus here

This is what I referring to :D Same tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh yes. I remember this now.

RI= Respiratory Infection

For whatever reason this little man has taken ill and is not recovering as fast we would like. Most of the time when I see this it is due to temps being too cold. Round the clock warmth for a while (few months) and some hot days will usually clear it up.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He will hang out in a pool of water sticking his head underwater gulping it down everyday for like an hour

All he cares about is drinking and sleeping.

I think he was just a little dehydrated

about a month ago I noticed he stopped coming out of the hut so I gave him a soak and he drank like a fish and seemed to be having trouble breathing.

remained lethargic

he drinks so much water it's really clear and has a slight green tint to it

Have you had Timmy checked for parasites recently? You say he came from a place where they had multiple breeding tortoise and lots of babies???? I would have him checked for parasites....and not necessarily just worms, but for Hexamita (will need a urine sample for this) as well....

I believe you should pay special care with this guy right now....based on what your prior posts said along with what you have now described in this thread, you know?

Again, this is just my opinion...

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Agreed, mine slow down a lot when its cold and sleep more often but no hybernation. Luckily in AZ even in the winter day times get pretty warm often.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
This is the same one i posted about a while ago. I am watching him as carefully as I can that's for sure. The weather is deffinately going to be getting better for him soon but I'm just not understanding how only Timmy is the one that's sick when there are younger smaller torts but who can say why one gets sick and another doesn't. He didn't come from a place where there are lots of breeding torts, don't know where you got that. I got Timmy from a friend who had two males and a female but kept the males in separate spaces and the other one with the female.

If I could catch him in the act of pooping I would have it checked I'm off on tuesday and Wednesday so I'm gonna be watching him like crazy. Can anyone suggest a good tort vet in the phoenix area?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I read your Here's Timmy thread where you said you got him from a co worker who has three adults and they always have eggs being laid so you did not know his age exactly...:D. That was the comment that led me to say it sounds as though he came from a place where there are breeding tortoise...:D

Apology if this was not correct ....

Timmytort

5 Year Member
No problem ascot I just didn't know where that came from. My coworker has since been able to give me a birthdate on Timmy, and when it's said like that I can see where you might think that. In reality she has one clutch of eggs each year but doesn't incubate the eggs so if they hatch great if not it's no biggie. We are getting steady high 70's to mid 80's now and fairly warm nights so that should help Timmy. Of course he can still hang out in the hut since its warmer in there but I think he needs some medicine to get him feeling better sooner. What is the standard medicine and again anyone know a good vet?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:D...perhaps pm zamric....or ATC or wait a bit to see if the Arizona sullie caregivers check in and can give you their vet info....

Normally you would want to have him tested for RI and then if diagnosed they will give you the appropriate antibiotics....also bring a poo sample with ya....(tortoise poo that is :D)....lol

Timmytort

5 Year Member
So at about 10 this morning I looked outside and Timmy was out on his feeding rock in the sun and eating yesterday's leftovers! First time he has come out on his own in weeks. I put out more food and he promptly went back in the hut. A few hours later I turned on the irrigation and took him out of the hut. He drank for about 15 minutes and has now been chowing down for a solid 20 minutes. He may be back to feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.