Is he sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
El Paso, TX
1 of my sulcata tortoises has been having diarrhea lately. I feed him yellow squash, bell peppers, and Mazuri everyday. I also feed him tomatoes but ive heard that they give them the runs so ive stopped giving him tomatoes ever since he started having diarrhea. but hes not acting sick or anything. he seems fine. is something wrong?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Diarrhea (diarrhoea to us Brits ;)) in torts is usually caused by insufficient fiber in the diet.

Introducing hay will help with the fiber, but isn't always regarded as tasty by torts. You could try DeanS's Tortoise Meatball to increase the fiber in your Sulcata's diet.

This advice sheet is from Sulcata Station: Sulcata diet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to consider is cross-species contamination. In another thread you said your RF was trying to breed your sulcata. They would never come into contact with each other in the wild, and its not a good idea to have them together in captivity. Each species of tortoise has evolved with his own species' pathogens inside them. Over the eons they have become accustomed to their pathogens. But when you introduce a different species from a different continent, you can have sickness or even death.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
So i cant have my sulcata and redfoot in the backyard together in summer? Should I keep my 2 sulcatas together in the yard and have my redfoot somewhere else? could i build my redfoot a little area of his own in the backyard where the sulcatas and rf wouldnt be in contact with eachother?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
mikey meyer said:
So i cant have my sulcata and redfoot in the backyard together in summer? Should I keep my 2 sulcatas together in the yard and have my redfoot somewhere else? could i build my redfoot a little area of his own in the backyard where the sulcatas and rf wouldnt be in contact with eachother?
Having separate areas for them in your back yard would be best.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
mikey meyer said:

Yes that would work. All you have to do is have two separate living spaces

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep,, and be prepared that your sulcatas may need to be seperate as well. They can get along,, but dont always.. just be aware to it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its just as well that you provide a separate area for the RF tortoise because he needs a moister, more closed in environment, while the sulcata can get by in a more open and dry area.

It has been my experience that the darker tortoises don't do well in the full sun. I lost a young Manouria (a black tortoise) to heat stroke. Your redfoot might go out into the sun for a bit, but then he'd like to have an area overgrown with plants to retreat to.

Status
Not open for further replies.